Wednesday, July 30, 2008

laundry and Jesus... even the mundane are holy to HIM...









"And some, like me, are just beginning to guess at the powerful religion of ordinary life, a spirituality of freshly mopped floors and stacked dishes and clothes blowing on the line." Adair Lara




I have not written on my private blog for a while... I have lot of thoughts in my head and I was reading the word today about worry (Philippians 4:6) and then later came across this wonderful analogy from Mary Jane Butters... I just have to share this with you. I was thinking a lot yesterday as I attempted my first outdoor experience doing laundry electric-free with my old-fashioned soap! I do this same thing Mary speaks of below when I seem to be fretting. I find cleaning as a time to pray and reflect my own inner struggles and how I can come back to Him and repent for my bad attitude or selfishness... So, to my hubby, this may help you understand why I seem to clean during weird times. I am doing this act as a way to talk to God and work out my "cramps"... In the end I feel refreshed as I have spent time with the Lord and in the end, my family receives a clean and peaceful (mom) dwelling... Sounds like a great fit for the whole family!




"When worry manages to work its way into my life, I've
learned to clean away my troubles or put polish on my let-go by mopping my
floor or hanging high my laundry. For some reason, the utilitarian act
of being on my knees or hanging garments on a line changes my brain
chemistry. I become a problem solver. I remember to step
back. Worry can be paralyzing (Ang here, it does not have to be and
that is where my praying comes in while cleaning). Even a bit of worry
can make a dirty floor seem inconsequential, laundry beside the point.
But once I muster up my "get it done, you will feel better" attitude,
mopping without a mop, on my hands and knees, is just the kind of get-down
work I often need. A lot like prayer, it shifts my outlook. Where the hand goes, the brain knows. Maybe around and around kneads the angst from my brain like a masseuse working a muscle cramp?. Maybe it's the hot water hand-dip. However it works, it always ends up being more than a clean floor.
Likewise, shaking clothes and hanging them out to dry is more than laundry... Maybe it's the sky and wind and the lack of gravity. Stuffing garments into a dark dryer removed from light doesn't resurrect me like the work of bend, lift, snap, pin. Displaying my garmets outside along a taut line, like prayer flags, pulls me together every time. No wonder political flags fluttering in a breeze can unite entire
nations!


Simple mundane cleaning chores can mop up
your life's grit (Ang here, we can all use some of that, can't we?)
Worry and woe can be shaken out. (Ang again, no add some prayer with
God and see what happens) Life's wear and tear can be hung to fly!"


Philippians 4:6

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God"

Have a blessed summer day!

4 comments:

Peggy said...

I do my best thinking and praying on laundry day.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I think this whole post is SO true. I sometimes do my best prayin' while cleaning. And I have been doing a lot of prayin' of late. So many burdens...NOT the kind we're to give to Him, the kind HE gives to us. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision.
Miss you

Counting Your Blessings said...

Last summer I hung a line between the tree and our fence behind the back porch. It was only about 5-6 feet but I loved hanging our pillowcases or pool towels, whatever. I wished that little line stretched across our tiny yard, the drive we share with Neighbor Bob and to the flower field on his other side! Beautiful post. Blessings... Polly

Melanie said...

Ang, I realize that this is a really old post, but I came across it today when I decided to dig back in your blog to the beginning!
I found your blog thanks to Rhonda Jean at Down to Earth.
Anyways, I've been VERY stressed out as of late, and this blog entry and scripture you posted are just perfect--I don't think it's a coincidence I read this post today!
I love your blog (so far, anyways :D), it's very inspiring.
-Melanie

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011