Sunday, October 5, 2008

The pressures ON!




Hi everyone... I am so sorry I have not posted much lately! SO much going on here! I have a pretty big announcement coming up here in 10 days or less so hold on to your overall skirt and keep checking back!

In the meantime here on the farm. I am just about ready to can all of our tomatoes! I have been picking all of them throughout the season. I read the greatest tip in Mother Earth News (even if you are a suburbanite, this is a great resource and I encourage you to order it, I got a subscription for $10- a year and plan to keep these in my library as they are timeless) about canning tomatoes. Rather than canning a few quarts every other day as they ripen, pick them when ripe. Then wash them. Cut the top and bottom off. Put in a freezer bag and freeze. When you are ready to have a canning bee, thaw them out the night before either setting on the garage floor in the bag (which I will have to do because I have so many) or use your kitchen if you do not have a tone of tomatoes. Now you are all ready to go with your recipes. My theology always is this: "If you are going to trash the kitchen, be sure you give it your best effort" SO, with that being said, you have 1 day of canning all of your tomato products rather than every other day 4 hours of canning! Its good to be making about 6 loaves or more of bread on this day to utilize all that warmth in your kitchen too! The kitchen already is messy anyway, some bread loaves won't hurt!
Last week I purchased an All-American Pressure Cooker! I am so excited to use this on my tomatoes as well as start canning all of our meats! Deer season is in full swing. We have gone from years ago paying for processing our deer to finally this last 3 years cutting our own and freezing (change never happens overnight folks). Now we plan on canning all of the meat to get the cost of electricity of the freezer out of the way! I cannot wait. Here are the specifications of our pressure cooker and this book will come in real handy too! Oh yes, we plan on canning all of our chicken meat too. I will never be adding salt to any of these meats so in essence I have 100% canned organic meats, sodium free...
We pulled the front garden beds this weekend of the plants that had frost damage and put compost straw mixed with chickie and goat poo! Should be great dirt for the Spring!

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Girl, you are always so busy! I am putting my gardens to bed for the winter too except for a few fall cabbage and collards I planted. Trying to clean up and restack the wood for winter. Isn't farm life a blessing!

Hot Belly Mama - taking it all back said...

I haven't canned yet. Ironically, it's one of the things my husband is MOST excited about doing. We have an apple orchard in our new home and just last he was saying "we could make canned apples, apple sauce, apple syrup, apple jelly, and even apple chicken!" LOL.

Gracie said...

I didn't get enough tomatoes this year to can- it was my first try at organic gardening and I got a lot of tomatoes off the 4 plants we had but next year I want to double that at least! I am making a few jars of salsa though but nothing like you guys! What an inspiration!

HomemakerAng said...

hi mom,
i love the new blog!!! i am looking forward to helping you make "applesaucer" :)

love donnadrew

lindanuts said...

we can chicken and beef---takes a little more time but worth it. we boil the chicken--or roast it with the skin and bones. cool-remove skin and bones and chop into pieces. with beef, we definitely roast it, chop and jar. sometimes, I add onion and mushroom.
I have what looks to be a great recipe for sloppy joes that I plan to do as soon as I have some jars empty. only have room for a certin number of jars and i refuse to buy any more jars since it is just the 2 of us now....

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011