Thursday, November 6, 2008

Welcome to the country…


I have been truly amazed at the friendliness of people up here. We have been warmly welcomed by all. Even when I call to try to find a new service and people understand our new move to an unknown area they ask if there is anything else I might need, like a new connection, etc. The other day a sweet older lady drove in the driveway and said, "welcome to the neighborhood"… When asked where she lived she stated, "I live about 1 ½ miles down the road about 3 farms from here"… It's nice to know people are looking out for us. When the neighbors across the street found about our windmill/well problems, they came right over with a plate of cookies and told us anytime we needed water we could come and help ourselves. It makes it pleasant knowing people are so kind and seem to genuinely want to help usJ.



I found 3 new shops that women run out of their own homes. They sell primitives and more… From large antique furniture items to smelly candles for long winter nights. They start their holiday open houses (although I am in no rush for Christmas at all) this weekend. I am excited to see what they have and take a little road trip to discover some new places, etc. I also am looking forward to a new home school support group meeting this Monday evening. I have never really joined a home school support group but I thought it would be a good idea as we are relocating to get to know a few likeminded families, etc.



It is another beautiful day today… Indian summer for sure. I am enjoying every minute of it. I am getting excited about Thanksgiving meal planning also. Have lots of odds and ends cleaning to do this weekend, inside and out… Getting that list put together as we speak…










9 comments:

a said...

I am cheering you on girl:) It's raining here today, but the last week or so gorgeous! Snow tomorrow they say:( I'm so not ready for that yet hopeful it won't stick! your amish built home has some amazing solid wood features...they know a thing or two about woodworking:)

Homemaker Ang said...

the amish added alot of wood work but the house was not originally amish and built in like 1895.. :)

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

How nice that you're building a community family! Yet another blessing ...
Lea

Angelena said...

We are having a nice Indian Summer here in WV as well. The nights have been cold enough to keep a fire in the wood stove, but during the day all my windows and doors are wide open.

We are looking forward to Thanksgiving here as well. It is the first week of buck season and between my husband and our 3 sons I am going to be one busy mama canning deer meat. We usually butcher a hog not too long after that. That should keep me busy canning for a while too!

a said...

I figured it was not an original amish build. But they made it their own, after ripping out all of the plumbing and power lines (off grid) I found all of that so interesting when I toured an amish area ...did you say you also have a smaller home or cottage out back? Was it the grandparents house? I would love to see pictures of that if I read that you do have one out back of the main house. & what does it feel like to not have utility bills? MUST FEEL REAL GOOD!

Mrs. Trixi said...

I love your new farm and am loving the great adventure you are on.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Hasn't this weather been great??? Windows are open and clothes are hanging on the line! If only it could stay like this till June!

Hoping to see you Sunday.

Just finished making a batch of my own homemade laundry soap...with so many people living here, I just cannot afford the grocers stuff.

Hot Belly Mama - taking it all back said...

I love your blog! We just moved into our new home this week and we are really enjoying it!

See you again on the next blog!

Carrie P. said...

I have been following your blog for a short time and it is great what you are doing. I homeschooled my 3 chidlren for 16 years and I really would like to encourage you to join the support group. Your neighbors seem really great and I think you will find the support group to be great too. I look forward to reading more about your life off the grid.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011