Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Deer and apples...





Deer and apples…

I found out that 1 yearling deer makes about 14 quarts of meat for my 14 quart all American pressure cooker, a perfect fit. I canned my first deer today that I got this season, with my van… This deer was hit in the broad daylight and it never touched the ground. It was bounding in the air from a corn field, as it came down I smashed into it, it never hit the ground and was launched again into the air. I pulled over to find it laying on the side of the road taking its last breaths. My husband was about 3 minutes behind me and came up on us. I had already called 911 to keep the deer and receive the instructions to follow the proper way to tag it. My husband picked the deer up and put it in the van… I was leary of this thinking, what if its really not dead yet??? I did not want to be the recipient of the deer “waking back up” as I was driving home so I traded cars with him. The deer did not come back to life on the way home and I will note it never did, even after I pressure canned the meat.

The canning was easy and I can see it will get easier as we go along. This was the first time to pressure cook meat and I had a very friendly helper on the ball/kerr hotline to cheer me along (1-800-240-3340, I thought you’d ask) and I only had 1 lantern lit as hubby was hunting out back so it made it hard to see (yes, I have to learn to light those lanterns yet, I am a pro at the gas lamps though J ) the canning took about 2 hours of prep of cutting deer up (see movies of the kids, they did it all by themselves and knew all the parts to cut like loin, roast, back straps etc from years of watching hubby) I left 2 of them to cut the deer up while the other 3 kids and I headed to the back 40 to pick about 4-5 bushels of our apples (see movie)… back to the deer: I brought the meat in, washed it again, cut meat into 1 inch pieces, browned on stove, put in hot quart jars and put 1 ½ cups of boiling water for each 4 cups of venison. I then put the 14 quarts in my pressuer cooker on the stove. (to this point, (my work is completed now) incuding the cutting up of the deer outside it took about 4 hours) It took about 45 minutes to get to 10lbs of pressure and then I pressure canned it for 90 minutes. Pretty good for the first time, I bet it will get quicker from here, or I hope so.

I figure if my family eats 2 qrts of meat a day in a year, I will need 718 more quarts of meat from today on for us until next year at this time… I would have to do the above process at least once a week for a year to keep up. I do know it saved a good chunk of money… It is rewarding this morning (Nov 5, 2008) to see the meat in my cupboard next to our applesauce, green beans, cherries and more…

About those apples. They will yield about 5 gallons of cider so I am tempted just to keep the apples and put them in the root cellar instead, we’ll see…




video

3 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

AAAGGHH! No wonder cider is so expensive!
As for the meat...do you think you will really need that much? Tonite we had a simple beans and rice dish...no meat at all. Yummy.
I want to see a video clip of the kids cuttin' up that deer!!!

Dani said...

nice to see the video....do the apples get bruised when she drops them?
Did you can all the deer meat or eat some of it fresh? Fish is good canned too, my aunt and uncle did that for many years and we always looked forward to them bringing us some.

SK and Family said...

LOL--I was thinking the same thing as dani about the apples--and isn't the saying, one rotten apple can ruin the whole bushel? (I think we read that in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy!)
:)
I enjoyed the video and am LOVING reading about your adventure!

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011