Monday, November 3, 2008

for the record...

I always want to be upbeat here! Always. BUT I must put some assumptions to rest… We saw lots of people this weekend and I just have to set the records straight… I was humorously amazed at some questions presented to me this weekend… I am not even including the other list my children and hubby where asked.


NO, we are not turning Amish, nope, not a bit, just living off grid in an Amish area… Lots of people do this even though it is new to you…

Yes we still have phones, 3 of them actually…

Yes we still take baths and showers and even blow dry and flat iron our hair all on battery and not at the expense of the power company …

We only live 45 minutes from church (People that live in California drive up to 2.5 hours a day each way in their daily commute… don’t believe me, ask a Californian)

My husband only drives 10 extra minutes to work now, totaling about 35 minutes max.

This is a good fit for your family but this isn't for everyone... Really? You are the first person that has told me that (in the last 5 minutes)

I have heard lots about "YOU WILL BE PUTTING SO MANY MILES ON"... As much as I do not “run” I bet your running around all week in the 5 mile radius of your home would quadruple ,at least, the mileage you put on your car weekly compared to me even though I live a farther distance from everything than you… (I put 5,000 miles on last year when I lived near town and this even included family weekend driving, I try to use prudence as much as always possible…)

The kids love it, we would not have done it if they showed a distaste for it but at the same token I wouldn’t let my child tell me they would be mad if they could not have their vidiot games either…

The kids don’t miss TV. We have never had cable, or sky angel like someone thought??? Where do people come up with these things???? We have gotten 2 channels on the TV most of our lives if we are lucky they come in that day…

I don’t mind if you feel comfortable telling me you would hate what I am doing, but you must know I do not feel comfortable telling you I couldn’t live 5 feet from your neighbors in your subdivision either … Nor do I care if you do or not and just want you to be 100% happy in your set up and I always only wish you God’s richest blessings on your family.

“Do you even get radio channels there?” HUH???

Yes, It will last and if in 10 years we decide that we want electricity we did not fail. Its strange people have bets how long it will last…

I bet you will be cold! Uhmmmm, we have heated with wood for 7 years now, 100%... Not just when convenient, not with an electric furnace blower or anything… we really have heated with wood the real old fashioned way…

Please don’t feel sorry for me, my husband did not drag me away from the palace to this compound or something, we are on the same team 150%... We couldn’t have done this move without God and each other. Notice we didn’t mention without you but we still love you lots :)

I am sorry but I can really not answer your question in a 30 second time frame of how we got to here. It was a decision with much prayer for years in the making so 30 seconds would not cover the answer you are looking for…. Oh, I see , you weren’t actually that interested as I see you are already distracted… Well, when you remember what you asked me again you must know that just because you just heard of what we are doing does not mean we did not put years of thoughts, research and prayers into it…

To that same person, "its just fine and ok with me you cannot understand why we did this, it actually is out of your grasp to understand it and that’s ok, But I wont be spending much time trying to sell you on it or explain it"...

Yes we are still wearing makeup and yes I will wear pants…


The list goes on…

I hope I answered all the questions…

I hope you are just as happy and blessed beyond measure as we feel we are and I always wish you all the best, and I encourage you to pursue your God lead dreams…
xoxoxo

12 comments:

More than Survival said...

I am sorry that you have been forced to defend your self... People make unkind and disrespectful comments! I can relate in some way... when we were expecting our 4th child (we had our last 2 children close in age) I was asked on multiple occasions "Don't you know what causes that?" I even had people come right out and ask me "Was it planned?" People don't realize how RUDE they are when they ask crazy questions or make comments... it is hard for people to grasp others living differently! And there would be NOTHING wrong with you if you were "going Amish"!!! NOTHING! The Amish have a TON right!!!
Keep your chin up!
Heather

Sherry in MI said...

Not that you were feeling humorous when you posted this, but I did get quite a few laughs reading it! Take the questions as pure curiousity and the ones that don't seem so innocently curious, just disregard. When you're in God's will for your life, you don't really need to spend too much time worrying what other people think. If God made us all the same, earth would be a boring place!

Homemaker Ang said...

i actually found these funny and enjoyed writing this, i am ok with it all :)
xoxox

Gracie said...

most people ask questions when you do something 'out of the norm' like move to an Amish farm or have a 6th child. I don't think most people mean any disrespect, most people have never done that or thought about that and are just interested. Maybe I just speak for myself but when people ask me questions about my life, I usually just assume they are curious.
I am sure this isn't the end to the questions... :)
I am glad to see you are happy and doing well!

Heather said...

We live a very different life but we get a lot of crazy questions as well (we unschool and all stay home all day, including hubby who works at home and we make a lot of things from scratch due to food allergies and cost). It is amazing what people feel comfortable asking and sometimes the questions are just plain crazy!

Love your responses and it was all very funny.

a said...

oh my gosh! You're actually getting those questions? people need to just sit back and read, don't judge, just learn, we all live the lives that make us happiest...I like to be in the city with neighbors nearby (I tried living in isolation remember?:) & you choose a 40 acre farm off grid...I'm always curious to see what you are up to...it's such fun to see you make this work:) & everyone needs to remember- to each his own. keep on keepin on ang...... any chance you could carry a lantern out to the outy???? I would be scared! xo

one question tho:) How far away from the doctor are you? when we were in the woods a good doc was about 50 miles away, I tho they had an excellent rescue squad..and even a hellicopter could do a flight for life...I always worreid about accidents most all! xo

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Sure wish I was there to hear some of this!!! Maybe this Sunday?
I agree tho...lots of it is just plain curiosity, but some is just plain ol' mean.

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

Bless your heart! Glad you are keeping your sense of humor through it all. We are not "off the grid" but many of our lifestyle choices seem to provoke others to defend their stance NOT to live like we choose. We don't even have to SAY anything, just be. LOL

Sometimes in private, my husband just look and each other and laugh.

So glad you and your husband are following your convictions. There needs to be more free-thinking people.

Smiles,
Lea

Heartathome said...

I had to laugh over this one. I do understand though. We live in the city, but we live as simply as possible (and we don't do cable or skyangel either)-I know I have commented to you that I couldn't live without power (or my washing machine) but in reality I would gladly give up the electric to be able to do what you're doing! :-)
Anyway, I pray that you all are blessed in this adventure. As you say, even if you decide to have electric again at some point in the future-you have not failed-you've simply changed course. :-D
Michelle

Dani said...

sorry, some people just don't have manners (like my mom would say) I think what your family is doing is great and only wish we were younger..we live in town but are looking into living off the grid more and more as we can manage it.
Electicity rates here are terrible.

SK and Family said...

I think most of those were normal, curious questions--I am completely curious and am glad that I get to read your blog to learn how you do it all!

I have had intrusive questions for how many children we have (we don't think 4 equals a "large family", but some do) and why we homeschool...in fact, I have just found out that I am in the process of being harshly judged by some family members. I am not offended, I am in between ignoring it and showing them, not by *talking*, but by our lifestyle, why we homeschool and choose these choices (sound repetitive?!)...

Thank you for your wonderful posts and videos--I am looking forward to reading your book!

Laurel H. said...

Ha! It is funny in a "shake your head grimly" sort of way. I don't have your life, but I am still counterculture in my own right, and I get a lot of the same (or similar) questions. I do wonder how one operates items needing electricity, but I only wonder in a logistical sort of way, not in a snide way. But I'm still reading my way thru your amazing blog, so I'm sure it'll become clear.

Blessings again to you!

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011