Things have been very uneventful here. We did move another HUGE load of things here from the other place to get it out of our house sitters way. He was (is) getting a little miffed about the boxes all over… Hi "P"… J So now my clean house is back to unpacking a bunch of stuff and I have quite a bit of clutter here but the other place is clean!
I have learned so much in such a short time living off grid. I have much more to learn and I am so excited to imagine what I will have gleaned when I am sitting here in a year. Hmmm…
So many things we grow up with, we just cannot imagine living without… I realize most, if not all, of my children will not have the luxury (if you will, with all the strict building codes, etc.) to live off-grid or will simply choose not to live off grid as their choice. I am ok with all of that. I am happy though that they will know when they get older and live on their own, they will(HERE COMES REASON #3) be able to see that you can live without a lot… I believe this will make them stronger adults. When tough times come their way, they will realize most things are just extra and luxurious. In this struggling economy, who knows what is coming down the pipes.
Today I wondered, even living off-grid, now what could I do without??? I came up with this list:
- We could ditch the motor for the windmill and put a hand pump on the top (we have one setting idle) and do away with the use of gasoline.
- We could do away with the gas lanterns and stick with oil lamps or ditch those and only use handmade candles from the tallow of the animals we process.
- We could do away with the grocery store pretty much 100% and live fully off this land. I am spoiled that I can still go to the grocery store
- We could get rid of one of our cars and nix that gasoline bill completely and I would have to wait to do errands until the gentle giant came home at night.
- I could do all laundry by hand and make the laundry soap with the tallow from the animals instead of even making my own budget laundry detergent that I currently create from store bought things.
- There are just a few things… Life would become very hard without those things above I think. I could do it though... I think I actually have it pretty easy now J
What could you live without?