Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I just need to say...

The best quote I have heard recently and it really explains our resolve to live "off-grid" is below. I still have a few naysayers that actually believe I could never like this life and that I am not an open book and actually lying... I know I have proved that wrong by sharing here... Anyways, I want to paint this quote on my kitchen wall but it would take up to much space :)

"Imagine your own life, and how you want it to be, then work to make that vision a reality. Don’t be put off, don’t listen to the naysayers, go with your heart and do what is right for you. I’m a non-conformist and I don’t fit in the 60 year old woman pigeonhole. I have always walked to the beat of my own drum and I have never looked to those around me for validation. That has helped me build this life I live. If I’d listened to all the advice I got when I wanted to change, I’d still be running a red hot credit card and wondering “is this all there is?”.One of the great wonders of this world to me is that we’re all the same but all so different. Celebrate your difference and custom-make a life that fits you perfectly. Forget the blathering of women’s magazines, don’t do what your next door neighbour is doing, don’t copy your friends – or me – unless it is exactly what you want and need for yourself. Make your own version of this simple life. Life is never a one-size-fits-all condition, pick and choose the portions of other people lives that suit you and custom make the rest of it so that your life fits you perfectly. If you try something that doesn’t work, don’t be afraid to get rid of it, or modify it to suit yourself. Do it all slowly, take small steps. You will never build a simple life quickly – it’s a slowly evolving process that never ends, but one thing is for sure, if you dare to be different, if you are mindful of your choices, if you downsize, declutter and get back to basics, the rewards are there for the taking."

I met a new online friend this year, Rhonda Jean... I encourage you to visit her here... She is the author above. She has more great writing and I encourage you to read her posts... I will be one of the firsts to buy her book when it comes out!

3 comments:

cityfarmer said...

This was a pleasant stop....your banner and your banner pic are stunning.


Hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

let's chat.

Maggii said...

Thank You so much for sharing this ...it was exactly what I needed to hear as the New Year dawns.....

Carolyne said...

I met you today because of Rhonda Jean's referral to your site....what a Blessing you are! Another fresh, honest and clear voice speaking among all the "yammering" of this world.
Blessings to you and your wonderful family as you raise them to really *listen* to the stillness.
((hugs)) Carolyne

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011