Sunday, December 21, 2008

off grid snow! EEK!


here we are today trying to be pulled out...

Well, we have found out that the road commission does not plow the roads! At least the back roads, or "Amish" roads, or maybe it is all roads in this county!... The huge storm we received Friday was never plowed and then this new storm that has come through last evening, continuing on through tomorrow (now stated as a BLIZZARD warning) has us snowed in, still with no road plow. I am not just saying snowed in like, "lets run to the gas station quick a minute".... We are not leaving. We tried twice. The first time we got stuck but got out and turned around to come home. Then we got stuck today, very bad, on the way to church. When the car came to a stop, I could not even open my passenger door the snow was up so high! 3 trucks came to help after the first helper got stuck pulling us out. SO, we missed all family gatherings and church today. Tomorrow is not looking good either for another family gathering we are very hoping to attend...

Anyways, there is something romantic and cozy being shut in a blizzard! Lots of snowmobiling and skiing today. A fun Christmas meal with the "good dishes". Monopoly and more frosted Christmas cookies with sprinkles. Lots of hot chocolate. Don't worry family, I did not eat any of your Christmas gifts I was suppossed to bring today... At least not YET!

Currently I am enjoying a nice glass of red zinger herbal tea. I will note I am very happy I am not due in this weather or we would be doing a home birth and the midwife would have to be the gentle giant because even she could not make it to our home! YIKES!

9 comments:

Peggy said...

I couldn't think of a better place to be snowed in. What memories your family is making even in bad situations. You guys see the light at the end of the tunnel and don't let it get you down.

Shari said...

We have been lucky over here on the East side of Michigan. We got about a foot of snow Friday and only a couple inches today. Although the drifting causes problems sometimes, our roads are fairly clear.
My folks live in Grand Rapids and told me about the mess over there in West Michigan.
If I may ask... What county are you in?
I hope you are able to meet up with your family for Christmas. Stay safe and warm.

Rhonda Jean said...

I hope it doesn't get worse, Angie. Stay warm love. Those hot chocolates sound lovely.

Pink Slippers said...

That is amazing and exciting. can you imagine the ladies that are due or have delivered in that weather. Hopefully they weren't first time births.

Jenna said...

Have some ~Great~ family time:)
We are "snowed" in here too...though not quite as bad as you - the plows do come down our road, but barely!!!

Dani said...

You all are getting hit with the storms that hit us last week...beware there are two more coming..its raining heavily today and they say we will have rain for Christmas...stay safe and cozy!..we don't have it as cold as you do, its in the 50s but that is cold for southern California...usually its in the 70s at this time of year...
God bless and Merry Christmas!

Heartathome said...

I wondered about your due date. I guess I could have gone back to the older posts to try to figure it out, but I was hoping that you weren't due during the winter season. :-)
It is pretty but looks really cold too. It's chilly here today and will be again tomorrow but should be in the 70's and 80's the rest of the week. I'm not complaining exactly-it's just that after a while you just want it to be cooler.
Try to enjoy these days of being homebound-I'm thinking of you way up north in the frozen tundra. :-D

Denise said...

I stopped by here after reading Hot Belly Mama's site. I can't wait to read of your adventures in living in an old Amish home. We have neighbors 'up north' that bought an Amish farm near Gladwin, they are in the process of adding electricity. I was there in June and there was still ice in their ice house from September of last year. They will not be using their ice house either. I thought it was a clever idea. Heavily insulated with a commercial freezer door.

Hot Belly Mama - easing into it said...

we are snowed in too and some people really don't like it. I LOVE IT! I just pretend I am on vacation in the woods and it makes the whole thing cozy. :)

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011