Thursday, January 8, 2009

She is here! UPDATES IN RED

Helping Papa behind the stove
helping Papa, looking up the chimney to make sure all is clear!



The Pioneer Maid Pioneer Princess! More information here... We did not pay this pricing so easseeee! :) I am so pleased! Besides the fact I can now get back to baking our own bread easier and lots of baked goods for the family and church, this stove also will heat the house too. We had an ugly stove where this one now stands. I didn't mind it and was thankful because I actually learned to cook on it quite a bit, baking and all. But, this stove is much more efficient. We went through more wood than we wanted with the old stove where this one now stands. So, more pictures coming and I will let you know what we try to bake first! Ours has the side water resovoir as well as the hot water coil. That green bathroom and wash house is in our near future! We have a claw foot tub here now also!




That book is coming. I have lots of cool recipes that we tried our first few weeks here. I am compiling lots of thoughts. Lots of thoughts you do not see here. The book will have inside information, struggles, joys and unseen photos.... When it will be released? Well, I think I need more time living off grid under my belt...




The Gentle Giant picked up 13 Amish folks last night with the large work van. They needed rides after celebrating their family Christmas (January 6) so he dropped them off to various farms in the area and then 4 Amish gentleman loaded the stove in the back of the van and came to our home. These Amish men were very intriqued that some English people (they have so many stereotypes about us, just as we do them) would actually decide to live this way. They had a lot of questions for us. This actual Amish settlement is about an hour North West of us. They are considered a "higher church". A higher Amish church actually means more liberal. The Amish sects around my area are very low churches.




The gentle giant was welcomed into their home last evening. He noticed they had carpet, gas lights from the ceiling (piped in propane) and more.




They asked the Gentle Giant what his thoughts of how Amish women were treated. More on that later.




This particular Amish gentleman told Matt last eve that the Amish in that area made a large mistake by getting out of farming. These gentleman have a pallet shop. The economy has taken its toll on these men as now the pallet industry is very slow. They want to get back into farming more but its not that easy. They are concerned about the economy as most of us are.
I saw they rode is some chairs loosely in the back of the van to our home. I said that I wanted them to be sure to be safe and they said, "Oh don't worry, we are used to hay rides" and then they all laughed! :)

10 comments:

cityfarmer said...

She's a "bute"...

First I thought you meant she's here...(the baby)

Thistledew Farm said...

Lovely, lovely! What a shiny piece of perfection - I can smell the bread baking

busymama said...

What a gorgeous girl she is!!!...I am so green right now...maybe one day LOL! Happy cooking!

Blessings,
Mary

Mama Hen said...

Keep us updated. I am interested to hear about your husband's response to the Amish women question.

snowflake said...

You are going to love ,love, love that stove. My hubby put a spigot in the the bottom of the main reservoir. I was able to take out hot water and put in the washing machine to warm the water. The front load firebox will be so much better than the top load. and you can put logs in that baby. Its a beauty... I am so happy for you....enjoy.......Yooper..snowflake

Homemaker Ang said...

Yes! We have the spigot installed so we will have constant hot water now. My husband is going to make an additional thermal suction hot water heater so we will have hot water all the time for baths and showers. Now we do not have to heat the water on top of the stove top any longer! YEAH!

Sherry in MI said...

I'm happy for you! I know you have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. I also enjoy getting a glimpse into the life of the Amish in your area and look forward to hearing more - especially your husband's reply to the Amish women question!

P.S. Since I don't enjoy baking and only tolerate cooking, I can't share your excitement over the stove. However, I am positively green with envy over that claw foot tub!!!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I think the book is an excellent idea!
And I am sure many good things will come from that new stove! How excited are YOU??? Hot water all the time now! Yippee!
The things we take for granted, yes?

Ben said...

Do you have a referral number for savingangels?

Homemaker Ang said...

no, sorry ben. we are no longer participating with it,

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011