Saturday, January 17, 2009

updates...

Well, I have had a busy week here on the home front. Not too much new other than:
I joined Savings Angel this week and saved quite a bit on my groceries, yes quite a bit! On one $41 grocery bill before Savings Angel I would have spent about $131! So I am very excited about grocery shopping. I get the GR Press tomorrow in my mailbox so I will be able to save even more. I only had coupons available to print online this first time and still saved this week. Pretty fun to save even more $ on groceries…
It has been frigidly cold here, yes COLD! Like it has not been in quite a while. Animal warnings issued to keep your animals warm and all. Below zero wind chills and at night the actual temperature has been below zero. The weather snow wise has been good until today. We are getting quite a bit of snow up here now at 9:45 pm. We have been super duper warm inside the house though! I bet an average of 70+ degrees and all on wood heat, FREE HEAT! YES! We are not new to wood heat but we are new to 2 wood stoves… Out houses are COLD but attention all moms: If you have an outhouse you will finally get all that privacy you need in the bathroom J, trust me… Try it once, I double dog dare ya!
I have Farm Girl Cyn coming for Sunday dinner tomorrow with her famous fruit cocktail cake so I hope the weather will cooperate, right Cyn? Know what I mean?
We have been ice skating (the kids have) on the pond too! Pictures coming…
NEXT WEEK is shaping up rather wonderfully!
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week the men in my life will be cutting ice for the icehouses in the area with our Amish neighbors! I am so excited about this. The girls and I are invited to come on Tuesday and Thursday for the dinner too and bring hand work to do afterwards with the other Amish ladies. Then, on Tuesday I am supposed to host the ladies and ice men here for crafts and dinner… The women come as early as 10 am and leave as late as 5 pm! I have never been so nervous for company! I even had Savvy City Farmer as a guest before (an interior decorator from Chicago!) and I am more nervous about these ladies and men coming into our home (up to 25 adults and children)! I don’t want to do something to offend or wrong and my cooking will be critiqued! YIKES! You remember that their good friends lived here before us. Only a few have been in here since we have moved in and I know most are curious. They serve a huge dinner at noon with meat, potatoes, veggie, salad, homemade bread and 4 desserts! At least I am not first in line. I can learn quite a bit from Tuesday’s dinner and come home and then figure it all out before Wednesday, my turn to serve.
I am so full of wonderful thoughts and experiences living here with the Amish and this new simpler lifestyle as well. I will just have to share with you about the great time these next few days as I will not be able to take a lot of photos but I will show you the ice house of course! I feel like this life of mine is so surreal at times. I am so blessed to have this unique opportunity to live among these idealists (although, it is only an ideal) and live off-grid. I am so content to be living this dream and seeing these things all come to pass in our family’s life. I am so glad we took the plunge and moved here even though our house is not sold and even though it has been challenging taking on these new chores… God is still driving this thing folks! I challenge you as well to live your God driven dreams! Life is just WAY too short to be status quo (whatever your definition is for that) and live a mere existence of life. I am screaming to you, “DO SOMETHING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE”, “TAKE A BIG BITE OUT OF LIFE AND EVEN TASTE SOME OF ITS SOURNESS BUT SAVOR THE SWEETNESS OF LIFE”… “ITS BORING TO EAT THE SAME THING DAY AFTER DAY, MEAL AFTER MEAL, ISN’T IT?” Ok, here I go with a simple post getting all excited and all… Take a bite out of life and live it to the fullest!

Stay tuned for more...

10 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

We are gonna give it our best shot! We got about 7-8" so far today, but it has been very windy, so in front of the garage we have 2ft drifts.
Can't wait to see everyone!

Lisa said...

I am a first time reader....I envy you...this is one of the neateat blogs I have ever read. I grew up living in close proximity to amish and was always facinated...my husband grew up in the south and that is where we currently live...both of us have joked over the years that we would love to live just as you are doing...or at least from what I have read so far as you are doing...please tell me how are your kids taking it? What are there ages? I am facinated to know everything...keep the blogs coming and keep up your courage and your faith...wow, your family will be in my prayers, so neat. Thank you for sharing. - Lisa

Homemaker Ang said...

Hi Lisa,

thanks for stopping in! You can start reading from the beginning of our new journey here

http://eclecticculturefarm.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-goals-reality.html and then read forward. There are some funny photos of our kids kissing the microwave in posts, i think. they love it. we have some teens to and they even love it!

Jenna said...

You are going to do a fabulous job cooking! No worrys:)
Have lots of fun!!!

cityfarmer said...

stop it now...your home is fabulous and it exudes your enrgy and joie de vivre.
tell us all about your day with cyn.

Jeremy said...

Hey, tried to call you back sat with no answer......give me a call... your bro jt

Sherry in MI said...

Can't wait to hear how things go on Wednesday. Things will go great, you will see! Recite this scripture a few times over the next few days. Proverbs 3:5-6

He will direct this thing on Wednesday. As you know, He cares even for the "little stuff" in our lives!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I don't know who I would be more nervous about faux-pas-ing in front of...the french or the amish - I've stuck my foot in "it" a few times with the French so I wish you the best!!!!!!!
I have not been around - but don't worry, i would NEVER ask a preg. lady to give up her bed. Maybe someday we'll just pitch a tent next to the loo! I have family in Evart...how far is that???
Miss you. Can't wait to meet that baby - miss your baby countdown stuff and pictures of YOU!

The W.O.W. factor said...

I applaud you! Not sure how I got here, but I'm amazed.
For some years we lived the same..no electricity or running water. Complete with Outhouse. We were no where near Amish, it was just a passion we had. Our kids are grown and others don't believe the stories they tell.
Absolutely the best for raising a family. You all learn to work together, to play together and love together.
I will be following you as you walk with your 'dream'...
Barb

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

"God is still driving this thing folks!" ~ love those words!

Smiles,
Lea

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011