Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Animal menagerie updates…

I have had lots of questions about why the cow was a dud. She was the first one we looked at so we wanted to be wise. She had bad teats for milking and that's why they were selling her, as well as a few other problems.

But, we are happy to report that we DID purchase a different Jersey Cow last evening! YES! We will be picking her up in the next few days. She is supposedly pregnant as well. Did I mention we have 2 goats pregnant and due around the middle of May? We will have lots of milk around here! We wanted the cow's milk to make our own butter and feed any extra to us as well as the animals. 2 goats would have been plenty for our family for milk. Who knows, maybe we will sell one of our milking goats in May, stay tuned… I say supposedly on the pregnant part because it is so hard to tell if animals really are pregnant until the end.


Guess what??? Our chickens are all ready laying eggs! We purchased Golden Comet Pullets for only $5- a piece (45 of them) and they have already laid eggs in the 3 days of living here! They are small eggs as they are just starting but we are so excited. We even had 1 double yoker! We have standing egg orders for 30 dozen a week. We have chicks on the way as well to really kick in the production in September. We know NOT to mix the two groups though and throw everything off. Des beeplind will arrive the 2nd week of April. We purchased some Arucana's to put 1 green egg in each box for our trademark.


And, drum roll………….. We are fairly certain we purchased a team of Belgians last eve. 16 years old and dead broke! Big Jim and Pearl are their names. We have not exchanged any money on the team yet but we are fairly certain we will be getting them to pull our 1 bottom plow and many other farm implements. We purchased a wagon to pull all of our wares and fresh produce to the local farmer's market/flea market this spring/summer. Will we see you there?


We may even do sleigh rides this winter on the property. (at least for our own family J) We want to plant just an acre (that would be tons actually) of Blue Spruce trees for Christmas trees in the way future. We will see about that part. It would be fun to have a sleigh ride to the back of the property and pick out a tree with hot chocolate waiting wouldn't it?


Lots of things going on at the farm! Stay tuned.


I cannot believe it has been only 5 months since we have lived here. It seems like much longer to me. I can't imagine life if we did not move here. I do not want to even think of what we would have missed and never known…

17 comments:

Happy Days said...

Congradulations on your new egg production!! That is exciting! And a new Dairy Cow!! Wow! and perhaps a set of Belgin Horses and a wagon! Can't get much better than that. I liked your idea of putting in one green egg in your carton. That is a nifty idea!! Best of Luck this spring with all the milk, and eggs!! Will be anxious to hear your updates. Do so enjoy reading about your farm...debbie

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Congrats on the cow! And the Belgians (I hope!). And all of the other animals too. I am so glad you are loving your life there. And thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. I adore reading your blog! :)

Peggy said...

What blessings are happening at Eclectic Farm!! I am so excited and proud of you! I feel like you are part of my family and it warms my heart to see God's blessings for you. Thanks for sharing your life with us..

Sarah Sanders said...

I never miss a single post on your blog - it is such a blessing and encouragement to hear what God is doing in your lives and I can't wait to one day follow in the same path you have taken, God willing.
Thanks for sharing your life with those of us who are homesick for a simpler life. BTW, I can't remember if you were the one who recommended reading "Henry and the Great Society" (I think you were) - but I've already read it through once and it spoke to my heart in a big way. My husband is currently reading it. Thanks for such a great recommendation - God is using that book to change our lives and outlook! I can't thank you enough!!!!!
Wishing you His richest blessings,
Sarah in MN

Sarena said...

Oh I'm so excited for the goings on! You are so inspirational! We were able to buy hens that were already laying as well and since this is our first experience with chickens I'm very thankful for it.

Kristin said...

Wow everything sounds like it's going so well! All the animal news is very exciting. I'm so happy for you guys!

Gregory said...

I love reading your story.
Can you tell me where you got your pullets? We would love to get some. We bought some from the Amish when we lived in Ohio, and I would love some for this spring.
Thanks,
amanda

kimberly in idaho said...

I found your blog yesterday and finished reading it all- start to finish- this morning. Thank you so much for sharing your life. What exciting and interesting stories! I have been inspired and encouraged by everything I have read so far. We can't wait for the book to be published!
Many Blessings, The Dutt Family

Dani said...

thanks for the update....I love Belgians and when we would visit the Amish in Iowa, were amazed at their size......thanks for letting us all know there is good life outside of the grid...with our economy going as it is, there will probably be alot more of us deciding on the lifestyle...we live in town but are doing alot of vegetable gardening thinking seriously about hens. and have several fruit trees.

gail said...

That's all really great news Ang. I'm sure your new lady will give you plenty of lovely fresh milk. Don't forget to tie her back leg with a leg rope. We had a full bucket of milk spoiled when the big fella undid the rope before moving the milking bucket away. Result -- one very dirty hoof straight in the bucket. Oh well the sheep dogs had lots of lovely milk that day. Great to hear about your new horses and also the chooks. Life's so good on the land, isn't it.

Blessings Gail

Rhonda Jean said...

I'm so pleased you got the horses, and the cow. Jersey milk and cream, mmmmmm. There is nothing better. It is really a pleasure to read about such a vibrant life, filled with optimism and hope for the future. Take care. RJ

Kelle said...

Congrats on your animals. We have a Jersey cow that I wouldn't trade for anything. She's 18 yrs old and retired and she's earned it! We now have an Irish Dexter and her heifer calf as our dairy cows.

You've truly been blessed!

mamapease said...

sounds like you have lots of fun things going on. When are you due with your baby? I love your blog!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Oh, I cant believe we got disconnected after that question that TOTALLY did not come out right! Congrats on the horses and i LOVE the blue egg signature!!!!!!!!!

simple country living! said...

Hi there! I'm so glad that I happened to find your blog! You are an inspiration! I am a 1st time "chicken rancher" since last summer & should be getting some eggs any day now (I really hope so!) LOL How special for your children to experience living the way you folks choose to live off the grid & all!
Blessings to you!
Leona

Martie said...

Sounds like life is busy and happening there at your place. I wish I had more time to comment on your blog - but I read it every time you post. Thanks for all the updates.

Blessings,
~Martie

SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

Oh how cool. I am very excited for you. Hope you try your hand at cheeses. I do love the green egg signature. People will remember tht one. I hope you take lots and lots of pics of your learning process with miking, goats, trees and the horses. I wish I were closer. I would visit you at the market.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011