Wednesday, March 25, 2009

By request more on canned milk

Mother Earth news did it again by helping me out. She has never done me wrong J

Here is a great link to pressure canning milk and this is how I am doing it. I am putting up about 7 quarts a day now. Yes you can just put it on a shelf and it does not have to be chilled whatsoever as it is now canned. I will say that after milking we immediately filter the milk and then let it be chilled to about 50 degrees and then I can it, just like you should not can a fresh kill of meat immediately.

Hope this helps!

Xoxoxo

ang

4 comments:

Happy Days said...

I hope this isn't a stupid question. Do you can them in glass jars? How long will the milk last canned? I had no idea you could can milk! pretty neat!...debbie

More than Survival said...

Wow! I never would have thought to can milk! Great way to store it up for dry times!
I do know that pigs grow GREAT on milk! It is a wonderful way to raise tender pork (and keep the feed bill down). We raise pigs in the summer, but don't have any milk to feed them... have thought about getting some goats for milk for us and the PIGS!
Heather

Hot Belly Mama said...

I sent Mother Earth news a payment and I am still waiting on my magazine. :( Love the photo of the butter above.

Mammamamma said...

Oh Ang, Thank you so much, this will help my friend tremendously.
You are truly a gift from God above.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011