Tuesday, March 17, 2009

So much to say, so little time…

UGH! I do miss writing here. Life is simple here on the farm but as spring is making its debut here, life is picking up pace and I am increasing in SIZE J

Today I had the privilege to dry all 11 loads of laundry outside on the line and let me tell you, they are all dried and in lickity split timing! I just love the smell of fresh sheets at night and this aching body o'mine loves them more J

The Jersey cow is AMAZING and picking up pace in the milk department. 4 gallons a day is really too much and now she is giving more. That fat little puppy dog loves the milk as well! We may be starting a cow share program real soon. Does it interest any of you locals?

We are getting heifers here too! The team is coming shortly, the Belgians Jim and Pearl and we purchased a paint type pony for the kitty cats. Our original farm dog ran away… I think she has a boyfriend or something. We have searched high and low. One day she followed an Amish buggy on the road and it was history! I think she is aware of a lot of changes that will be happening around here and she took off J

Did I tell you we have our eye on a buggy horse?

We made butter and it is delish! Although, I am not drinking any raw milk right now due to pregnancy. I know its fine but I do not want to introduce anything new at this point.

The children have been helping with sugaring and yesterday had maple syrup hotdogs! Yummy! We have been eating a lot of pancake suppers as the syrup is so fresh and in exchange for working, we get syrup! Sounds like a great trade.

Our 2nd daughter came in Saturday morning after milking and yelled, "MOM" I was so startled as this momma was lying here in her bed yet and sat right up and she said, "MOM, thank you for moving us here! I just can't say thanks enough! I just saw the geese by our pond and I am hearing the birds and milking the cow and feeding the goats in the big old barn and I just LOVE IT here… just think if we never moved here!".

I know I say that quite a bit, but you must see that we really just love this life. It is unexplainable really. Life still has its problems but they just don't seem so big sometimes... It is a lot of hard work, but WE LOVE IT. As I have said, the children love it too!

Today as I was hanging the clothes on the line I looked up and 20 acres away saw our Jersey and looked the other way and saw open farm land and I will say I am blessed. This run down farm house has never stopped amazing me yet...

24 comments:

Peggy said...

Ang, you make me drool. I would so love to live that simple life you are living. I know there is lots of hard work but oh what blessings you have each and every day. Thank you for sharing with us.

Kathy said...

Oh it sounds so wonderful ! Thank you for sharing your story.

Happy Days said...

I have missed your posts! It sounds like everyone is in heaven there! How much longer until the baby comes? I enjoy hearing about your farm...just everything! Happy St. Patrick's Day...debbie

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

I too love living in a simple rural area.
Vastly different to you guys But my heaven.
I love hanging laundry and seeing a Kangaroo eating grass in our lower paddocks.
Lifes good when the little things really are the big things

Cathy said...

I love your blog and reading about your life on the farm.

Great post!

Cathy

SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

I feel at peace when I read your blog. What a team you and your family are. Not many children get to experience life like yours. Have you tried to make cheese yet? I am very happy for all of you and glad you are blessed with wonderful neighbors.

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

It is so good to hear from you! :) Glad things are happy and well in your lives. The more we simplify, the happier we seem to be. Not that we'll ever get to where you guys are (I wish though!) but every little step in that direction matters and has made a big difference. Thanks for updating! :)

white_lilly said...

Thank you for sharing your amazing life, it is simple but beautiful :)

Bama Grits said...

It sounds wonderful! And something most children are missing out on. So glad you are okay...was hoping the baby hadn't decided to come early!:o) Thank you for sharing!

Gracie said...

Hi Ang,
I love reading about your life here- I love what daughter #2 said- that is one of the greatest 'rewards' isn't it? How awesome!
We love you and pray for your family daily!
Lots of love,
~Amy

Hot Belly Mama said...

lol - you did a great job summarizing that all up! I can't wait to hang dry my laundry! We're due for a sunny strech soon.

Sleepy Cat Hollow said...

Thank you for your post...

Real fresh Maple syrup. Big sigh. My dad is from Minnesota and for Christmas would give us maple sugar candies. I miss those.

So glad to hear your children are loving it on the farm!

Nadine said...

Thanks for sharing...I do so much enjoy your post...and yes, spring brings a little more "business"
I am already thinking garden and seeds...may be even a pet laying laying hen for the back yard/..wonder how my city neighbors would/will feel...
In Vancouver they now can keep laying hens in the city...yeah for growth and change...

Blessings

suezoos1 said...

I check every day and am excited to find a new post..so enjoying this journey with you. Thank you for making time to keep us updated.

Melanie said...

Great to hear from you!!
We're getting ready to move into our first home in the country (this week!!), and I am so excited! :)
I hope that one day, I'll be able to write a post like this ;)
-Melanie

Sherry in MI said...

Thanks for taking a moment to post. I could just "hear" the excitement in your daughter's voice as you relayed her recent comment to you. How cool! Thanks for letting us continue to live our life vicariously through you! *Grin*

Naomi said...

I have so enjoyed reading about your journey, and love to hear about the joy you all experience with your life on the farm :) Thank you for sharing with us!

mamapease said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. 11 loads of laundry!! Oh my goodness, that is a lot! ~kyndale

earthycrunchy.typepad.com

Cinnamon said...

How fun living a full life is~ working, playing, preparing, growing, canning, gardening, and livin' by candlelight :-)

It's certainly brings the family together :-)

Lovely blog~ Cinnamon

slaterlife said...

Oo what a beautiful life you live. I love reading your entries.
I can't wait til' we can line-dry our clothes. It's still a bit cold here right now...I think the clothes wouldn't dry fast enough before they froze at night!
Keep writing!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I missed all the beautiful warm weather here last wek, but console myself with the knowledge that spring begins tomorrow! I have hung clothes on the line off and on through the winter, whenever the day was sunny enough, and my fingers could withstand the numbing cold!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I have no words Ang.

Renata said...

It sounds great! I'm so tempted to get a jersey cow - even more so now!! I agree with you about moving to the country - I wouldn't go back either!

Mammamamma said...

Hi Ang,
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I read "Henry and the Great Society". And WOW, It has brought about the understanding of why I so long to be in my cabin off the grid. I have never really been a materialistic person, but admit to purchasing way more than any one really needs. I have found myself over the past few years declutter-ring more and more and
wondering "Why did I ever buy that in the first place?" I am giving my husband the book to read this weekend. I Pray that it will hit him the wat it has hit me, and he will once and for all say yes lets ditch this rat race and head for peace and tranquility. It's a shame to have half the picture in my hand and not be able to finish it.

How absolutely fulfilled you must have felt to hear your daughter proclaim her happiness to what many others have pronounced as insanity. God put you all there to bloom and it sounds as if you are. Congratulations!!

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011