Monday, October 12, 2009

Shhhh... DON'T tell anyone

that I am secretly rejoicing we have had a hard frost here in our neck of the woods to kill the garden! "HOHAAHEHAAA" (evil monster laugh)... I am happy to see the garden go as this has been our hugest (Yes, I know this is not a proper word) gardening year yet and a new baby born at planting time to boot! We worked our tallies off! WE COULD NEVER have planted, grown or canned so much this past year without these wonderful kinner (our children). Plus, we only used horses and NOT a tractor in sight. These children are the hardest working bunch and they are on this off-grid team 150%. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful family to work with. THANK YOU CHILDREN for this successful gardening year and harvest, we could NEVER have done it without you! Thank you GOD for providing a wonderful gut bounty for us! Oh, I almost forgot, off to can more venison (our son just got a deer last night) and applesauce too...

12 comments:

Dawn said...

Nothing more yummy than canned venison!
mmmmmmmm......

Julie said...

It is so nice when the Lord says..."You're done with the garden" by sending a killing frost. You just get to sigh and say...Darn frost there was nothing more I could do this year...and Rejoice!

Happy Days said...

I commend you and your wonderful kiddos for pulling together and making such a grand harvest! I know you are proud of them and the work you ALL have done this year, and the extra bounty - which you will enjoy this coming winter!! congrats!...debbie

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

I have almost forgotten what frost looks like since we moved to Australia! We actually live on a frost free property. On a few early mornings in winter a light frost may cover the fields in the valley but as our property is elevated it doesn't affect us - it's gardening all year round except on some days during summer when it is just too hot - plants and people wilt!
I really love to hear about how your family has worked together Ang to produce such a bountiful harvest and I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour over winter as you tuck into hearty soups and venison stew which I can just picture now simmering away on your beautiful stove!

Renata said...

You sure have had a full year. Hopefully with the winter moving in you'll get a chance to relax a bit. Enjoy your venison!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on a successful harvest!
We didn't get much this year due to excessive rains...but what we got was delish!

Enjoy those blessing your children are :)

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Yes indeedy do! A hard frost is most welcome this time of year!
And i second the fact that you have some of the hardest working kids I know! What a blessing they all are!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Good night, mine is one smiggen the size of yours and I briefly rejoiced when I woke up and everything was frosty and wilted. Maybe now my toe nails will have time to get painted!!!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

PS - I sent Joel out with a flashlight that night for the last of the peppers but forgot the leeks - are they ruined???

Sherry in MI said...

Way to persevere, kids! What a blessing you have been to your folks this past year. I know God is smiling down on you!

Tracy said...

I am feeling the same way whhhhhaaahha...(evil laugh) so I was so excited to read your post. Thank you!

Flipfloppingmamma said...

I loved all the canning this year too but I was also happy to see the frost come. haha! I was just so done peeling, slicing, blanching, soaking, cooking, canning, and storing this year....sigh. ha!

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011