Thursday, December 3, 2009

one of our best friends


what started off as a good day, our son sowing oats in the fields with the team, went south suddenly. We are still hoping for the best, please pray that this all works out! We were doing our school when suddenly Pearl, one of our prized belgian horses runs out of the barn (she broke free from her harnesses) and collapses as she was shot or something. We all ran out, she lay what seemed to be unconscious not to be moved or anything for a few minutes. I frantically started making phone calls, the G Man is away at a Defending Ag. Conference and finally our friends from the community came down with some meds and more. We have her up, she seems ok, not great but ok. Looks to be colic... She must recover! We are hoping for good things as we cannot afford this loss in more ways than one.

10 comments:

Diane said...

You have my prayers!

Happy Days said...

Oh my goodness! What a horrible thing to happen! How do they know it was colic and how do they get it? Will keep her in my prayers for a quick recovery. Poor Pearl. What was she doing in the barn with her harness on? or do you mean halter? You might call the previous owners and asked if this has happened before...debbie

retriever farm said...

giving you and pearl many prayers

April said...

We have horses, so feeling your pain...

Homemaker Ang said...

they were having a short work break as why they were in barn with harness on

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Oh dear me. I will pray. Colic....who would have guessed???

Kelle said...

Praying for Pearl as well as your family. I know just how stressful a sick animals can be. Colic, was there a change in feed, or grazing on wet or frozen grass? We have to be careful with our Fjord, Mo. My Mom once fed him several carrots( in pieces, throughout one day) the next morning he was down with colic. We used an herbal mixture, mineral oil and walk, walk, walked him until he had several bowel movements and his gut sounds were back. If you are interested I can look up what it was we used, herbal wise.
Praying she recovers quickly.

Tea with Willow said...

My heart goes out to you ... I know how dangerous colic can be, and you feel so very helpless when these wonderful, noble creatures are in pain. I hope Pearl is better.

Willow x

Alice said...

HOW'S PEARL????? OH, MY! I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HORSES OR THE AILMENTS THEY GET--I THINK OF CHILDREN'S COLIC BUT DIDN'T KNOW HORSES GET THAT (MUST NOT BE THE SAME THING).

UPDATE US!

ALICE

rhonda jean said...

Hello Ang, I'm so sad to read that Pearl is ill. I guess Jim is at a loss at the moment. I hope she recovers fully. I'm thinking of you.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011