Wednesday, March 3, 2010

toughing it...

Hello, Hello! It seems that alas as of late, I have nothing to say! That could be a first for this writer, this talker! But stay tuned as it will not last long...

We have been busy tapping maple syrup trees, collecting sap, building a greenhouse, finishing the ice house and painting. Oh yes, finishing up the February newsletter to go out as well, ahem...

I am not going to kid you, it has been a tough couple of weeks! I hesitate to say this as there still seem to be quite a few waiting in the wings to jump out and say, "I TOLD YOU SO! WHEN DIDN'T YOU GET IT THAT IT WOULD BE HARD TO LIVE OFF GRID?" "Your life is so hard and so much work"! And to that I say, "hmpf and bah humbug"!. That is not what I am referring to in the tough department! It just has been tough ok and that could be why the posts have been boring and not as frequent :), so "there" to the nayfolk! :L. I will not quit!

But, do not despair dear friends! I am getting my groove back and I have lots to say when I can get away a few moments and I will be updating you. Nothing to exciting, just the daily grind.
On a great note, we had a wonderful evening on Monday giving our off-grid lecture at MCC. What a nice group of folks to talk to and they were wonderful and gracious to ask so many interesting questions. I must tell you, it is encouraging to know people are actually interested in what we are doing and they would give us their precious time to let us talk to them about our lives. Thank you to all who attended!
It was also encouraging to see the farm in all its "glory" in the summer slide show pictures. It brought resilience to me personally as to why we are doing what we are. It was a blessing to have our 16 year old speak un-prompted about her life here. What a remarkable young lady... I am only 10% of the woman this girl is! I take no credit for her but give all credit to Him who has blessed us with such a great God fearing daughter and He saw it fit to "loan" her to us for this short time. I pray constantly to have God fill in the blanks with my parenting skills and I got to see a glimpse of His faithfulness in that department this Monday evening. He is doing a great job!
Does this have absolutely anything to do with farming? NOPE! Its a small glimpse into my personal life which I do not share much about here. It is just a glimpse... I have to keep it real here too and honest...
In the SPIRIT of farming, family and faith,
Yours truly,
HomemakerAng

6 comments:

Renata said...

Hi Ang
I enjoyed this little glimpse into you!
I think we all enjoy reading about your life & adventures there - yes living a dream is tough, but it's so worth it. Your daughter sounds amazing.
God bless you
Renata :)

Happy Days said...

First off, your posts are NEVER boring. Never. It doesn't matter what type of life one lives, we all have our "tough" periods. I think anyone who says different it living in denile or is not telling the truth. Your whole family is amazing. Wonderfully amazing. And I can see where there would be tough times on a farm the size of yours and all that your farm does. It can't run itself, that's for sure!....Amen...debbie

mommyx12 said...

Just found your blog and excited to read more. This is something we are longing to do. Someday!

Dixie Trish said...

Hi Ang, I love reading your posts. Thank you for being real! I can't imagine the journey God has you all on, but love reading about it.
Aren't daughters wonderful? My daughter is the same. I have so much respect for the beautiful, wise and godly young woman, that constantly catches me off guard with some wonderful encouragement.
I so believe that you are giving your family a wonderful experience.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to glimpse into your life and to be able to pray for you on the days when your energy seems to evade you and circumstances overcome you.
Be Blessed today dear sister.

Sherry and Russ Sutherby said...

Knowing your wonderful family, this came to mind:

On Children...
by Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Deb said...

glad ya'll had a wonderful time, after all your life is much interesting ,to a lot of us who wish we had the courage to do just what you are doing,Daughters are great, I have one only one, 3 boys, she is the baby, will turn 30 Sunday, I love her so, she is a wonderful woman, loving kind,to everyone. say a prayer for her, she is fixing to go through some rough times. she is raising 3 children alone, well with my help too. but she has found out she has arthritis in her back, very painful. Keep her in your prayers, I know you are proud of your daughter , I am proud of mine

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011