Sunday, March 7, 2010

What did you do on this beautiful Sunday?

We have been a little under the weather with colds, some with fevers... Today as we were so cagey when the littlest fever broke we took the opportunity to get some fresh air and take a buggy ride. Our buggy horse, Barney, is at another farm for some R and R and use for a funeral but we took Jim (one of our Belgians) on the buggy today. It went ok for a while until he saw a large log and it spooked him. Lets just say this was something I never really enjoyed, horse and buggy travel, and today even though it went ok it reminded me of this past summer of our travels to church and more...

Today after Jim was spooked he took off into a corn field, buggy and all, all 2,500 lbs. of him. He was just scared and we got out quickly while the Gentle Giant calmed him down and righted him out of the field. I took a long walk heading home as he took Jim and the buggy back at the end of the ride, I WAS NOT GETTING BACK in that thing for nothing! An event like this really is/was no big deal at all if you are Amish... It happens so often to them, every day, as I have seen that horses do crazy things and because the Amish were practically born in a buggy it seems to be no big deal to them. Interestingly our children were not scared today at all, only mom :)... The horses particularly act up, especially after church when a horse wants to get back to their own barn. Its a wild time as the men hold the horse back while the family gets in the buggy and then the men let go and the horse just goes STRAIGHT home all on their very own... I had an interesting buggy ride coming home once from church on the hills of Ohio this past spring.

Yes, it is so intriguing to come upon a family traveling in a buggy. It is much different when you are that family and you just hope and pray that car sees you. I was a willing participant in the buggy travel all summer it was just something I did not enjoy :) but I will let you in on part of this ride with this short movie...Whatca think? *** SORRY WILL HAVE TO GO TO A HIGHSPEED PLACE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS AS IT IS TO SLOW***


video

9 comments:

Sherry and Russ Sutherby said...

While we were collecting sap, you were having a wild ride it seems. It just shows you that no amount of spook training will guard against a log that is out to kill the horse. (That's how they see it...:) Whenever you have harnessed power (horse OR dog) there's a risk. You just start with the best horses (trained and hopefully dead broke) and dogs. Both have to know commands and take them. Jim's a good boy. It's just spring jitters, I would assume. ;)

Renata said...

Hi Ang
Thanks for the video - I've always wondered what it looks like in one of those buggies. That ride does sound scary - so glad all was fine in the end.
Have a nice day
Renata :)

goatmilker said...

Yesterday we went to church, worked on sap and mom got a nap in there. I think I probally would of walked home to. Horses no doubt can be unpredictable. We got my daughter a pony for Christmas and that thing scares me beacause he is so unpredictable. She loves him to death though and I'm the only one scared of him. Have a great day Rebekah

Granny Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny Miller said...

I know just where you're coming from.
I REALLY don't like horses.
I prefer autos & tractors any day.

I promise you that I've never had the John Deere take a nip at my arm on a brisk morning or balk at a sticker bush on a windy day.

If I had to use a draft animal you can be sure it would be oxen and NOT HORSES :-)

Happy Days said...

Those darn ole' logs will do it every time! lol You just never know what will spook our lovely 4 footed friends. Sometimes wind will do the same things. Sounds like a wild ride to me. But I would love every minute of it!!...debbie

Deb said...

nice looking family in that picture, enjoy these warm days,,,

Sherry in MI said...

Just think - one more experience to add to your book one day!

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

Ack, what a scare that must have been!!! But I *do* think riding in the buggy looks like such a great thing. Sometimes, I wish everyone would go back to that! :o)

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011