Saturday, October 30, 2010

after a short break south, we are back north and enjoying fall on the farm...

It was great to get away to Tennessee and North Carolina (this is where most of the recent photos of nature were taken)these last few days! Did we see any of you?
But the farm is calling and we are back home to the crisp and cool days! We hit the ground running with a wonderful family staying at the cottage for a few days and a farm luncheon for 12 of homemade MVF food!
Fires going in 2 wood stoves now to keep the farm house warm! Can you see the smoke rising from our chimney below? On any day when you drive by the farm you could see up to 4 chimneys going! 1 wood stove, 1 wash haus kettle for laundry and baths, 1 wood cook stove and 1 chimney in the shop... Oh, don't forget the Maple Cottage as well! So that is 5 chimneys! Fall wouldn't be the same without fresh local cider
and homemade donuts!
It becomes a family affair to make these wonderful, melt in your mouth goodies!
What is one of your favorite family fall traditions? Do tell! We are glad to be back and missed you here!

7 comments:

Joannah said...

From where I stand, you are living a charmed life. I know it's a lot of hard work, but the experiences you're all having together are just priceless.

Amy Kinser said...

Glad you are home safely. What part of TN did you visit, if you don't mind me asking? My family and I live in Middle Tennessee.
God bless you and your family.

Treasures Evermore said...

Happy that you are all home safely. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Would you mind sharing the recipe for your donuts? They look wonderful.

Happy Fall!

Tina Leigh said...

Well I thought it looked like the Smoky MT's! Yall were along ways from home. I hope yall visited Cades Cove near Townsend, Tenn.....it is my favorite place in the whole-wide world!!!

Fall at your house looks beautiful!!! HOW I WISH I COULD SAMPLE THOSE DONUTS!!!!!!!!

The Fall is harvest time for us. Our kids come and help mostly. We have learned to enjoy it and we always eat good when we are harvesting. We have a contest...who can find the smallest pecan!! It is very competitive. If you dont gaurd your pecan, it may get stolen by another family memeber!! At the end of season, we so has the smallest...and that is the winner!

Ma said...

We don't really have a set fall tradition other than the normal carving a pumpkin & then Thanksgiving. After seeing those yummy donuts I think we may have to start that! lol Have a great day.

Jeanna said...

I wish I had realized you were in Asheville. I would have loved to have met you all. I hope you enjoyed your time here. Although sometime I say I want to move it is nice living in the mountains here in NC. I know you are glad to be home, is there really any place as sweet as home? Hope you have a great week ahead.

Renata said...

Your farm looks beautiful in the autumn! Glad you had a wonderful getaway.
Over here it's spring - one of our favourite spring activities is to go to a cherry orchard & pick our own cherries - we love cherries & I make delicious cherry jam & cherry icecream syrup - YUM!
Hope you have a wonderful week
Renata:)

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011