Thursday, November 11, 2010

another question answered... off-grid beauty treatments...

Some very sweet blogger asked,

"How do you and your girls keep looking so great without all the modern conveniences and expensive skin care"? "I am afraid I will not be able to let go of my expensive department store skin care and my skin is to addicted to the products to look good on its own now"?

That was so kind of you and I am not sure on the look great part however I do know that we are healthier than we have ever been due to being outside so much more with fresh air, eating good and all that jazz. I believe when you experience all of the weather elements without makeup your skin becomes its own beautiful the way it was intended to be. Not stuck in air-con (although it is so nice to have) with makeup on all day.

Note: "Hollywood beautiful skin" and "natural beautiful skin" are two different genres though and we need to throw out the Hollywood mentality if this is going to work for you. I really feel I understand this as the irony of this all is that I used to sell cosmetics at Marshall Fields at the Department store counter :)!!! And look at us now... I too used all that wonderful stuff and grew to love it although horribly expensive... I have done a lot of natural research for skin care etc. and have obviously not exhausted the research yet.

I have a fairly simple system now and I find it best not to wear make-up unless going "out on the town" and for special occasions. I do this for 2 reasons... 1. Is it is much better for your skin and eye lashes and 2. It saves a ton of money to only wear the good and sometimes expensive makeup for special occasions.
My daily skin care regimen consists of washing my face with Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser and follow with a toning on a 100% cotton pad of Dickinson's Witch Hazel.


***I then always follow with a huge slather of this product for day and night time and it is AMAZING... I would never experience all the weather I do as this protects the skin to a point as well. See the date on the post so it doesn't seem as I am coincidentally trying to sell you something :) We actually sell this in our Mercantile. It has Comfrey (for wrinkles) honey and Marshmallow root and more. It is great for wrinkles around the eyes.***
I use Arm and Hammer Baking Soda for an exfoliant now... cheap!!!!
This might surprise you also but I do go out in the sun quite a bit and I feel it is actually healthy to be in the sun without sunscreen more than one would seem fit (although if I do use sunscreen I apply organic coconut oil plain) and good for us. I like to sweat outside in the summer without makeup too. There are many different opinions on this school of thought but I try with everything in my life to go back to the basics whether what it is I eat or feed my family, what I use chemically or how I live and that is seriously, "What did Jesus do in His time"? It makes quite a few things become real simple. And on the other not so simple times I use this when I "go to town..." :)
Now, do a test for a week... Go without makeup and get outside and eat good and see what happens... You may go through a skin detox first but don't stop tryin! It only gets better...

5 comments:

.................................... said...

Hello and good to have found you. We live very sensible and frugally here too. And aren't caught up in the consumericist nonsence. I look forward to readdnig morwe ablut your life off grid.

I wonder if this blog of mine would be of interest at all?
http://beyondmaterialism-john.blogspot.com/2010/11/deadly-virus-of-consumerism.html
Love Lobma

Treasures Evermore said...

Great post....wondering if I can order some of that ointment from you? I live in Canada. I think this would be amazing and help my daughter who has terrible acne....plus using it myself.

Renata said...

Hi Ang
This was very interesting to read. I, like you also only wear makeup to town, but never on the farm. I am interested in the products you mentioned - at the moment all I use is homemade soap (which is so much more moisturising than storebought soap & moisturisers at night. However as I get older I'm sure I'm going to have to do more. I do always wear a hat in the sun during summer though - the sun is terribly hot over here. Oh & drink heaps of water.
Have a wonderful day
Renata:)

knittykneighbour said...

Thank you for your answer! I (very recently) started going w/o the makeup, and using a rinse of apple cider vinegar & water on my face. I'm very happy with the results so far. Can't wait to try the baking soda trick! =)
~Heidi

Kim said...

I do the same thing but find another tip for naturally beautiful skin is to drink lots of water! Water is so important and plays such an important part in health as a whole.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011