Friday, November 12, 2010

question #3 answered

“How do you and your daughters find it easy to work in skirts and wear them all the time”?
We haven’t always worn skirts. But, in 1996 I started wearing skirts and dresses a lot after the birth of our 2nd daughter. I was always drawn to feminine and more dressy attire. I went to Christian school most of my life and blue jeans weren’t in the dress code so for a good part of my life I “dressed” up. After the birth of our 2nd daughter I would wear a lot of Laura Ashley dresses and have the girls do the same. I no longer pay much matter to wearing skirts and dresses now.
It is a natural choice for us. We do wear leggings for walking at times. The funny part (as seen in a photo below) is we might wear pants around a mosquito filled bonfire, but a skirt to hay in! HA!) It is all what you get used to. Just like it might make one uncomfortable to slip on a skirt as they are not used to it we find it the same for donning pants on jeans.


We are not against pants per se but we feel more feminine when dressed feminine. People really treat you different (in a good way, like a lady) when you wear skirts/dresses.
“Some people ask how do you stay warm in the winter”? We wear wool tights, leggings or a simple pair of wool socks can really warm you up. Again, it is all getting used to something.


If you want to try a challenge, try wearing dresses for 1 week and you will note some interesting facts. I did this years back and it just stuck. People treat you different when you wear dresses.
Note: This in no way means you need to dress dowdy or in the traditional blue jean jumper/white tennis shoe look. God created us to be a temple for Him and there is nothing wrong with being beautiful. There is no glory in being dowdier than one another… And, we are ladies so why not wear skirts any way? :)

14 comments:

Joannah said...

I'm loving these questions and answers! I enjoy wearing dresses and skirts in the summer. They are comfy and feminine. You and your girls look beautiful!

Renee said...

I love all these type of questions! These are the non-essential things that I often think about!

Treasures Evermore said...

I am so loving all the questions and answers part of your blog. I LOVE wearing skirts but do so infrequently because I can only wear A-line skirts and they are hard to find. I also have zero skill in sewing so that limits me LOL.

Your photos are priceless...what an incredible keepsake of photos you have.

You have a beautiful family.

Blessings to you all.

Mumsie said...

There's that kindred thing again! ;o)

pilgrimscottage said...

Great answer! I love wearing dresses and skirts. And, you are right. People (especially men, I find) treat a woman in feminine attire differently - meaning, with more respect. One man even thanked me for wearing a dress. He said it's more becoming on a woman. I never forgot that.
Love your photos.

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

I feel the exact same way! I wear skirts all the time...just because I like feeling feminine and such! :)

Jenna said...

So excited to meet another farming family that enjoy's skirts as well:)

~Jenna

Happy Days said...

love the questions and enjoy your answers! funny, I wore dresses and skirts for a very long time, now it's slacks...debbie

Renata said...

Love this answer - I know I always feel more beautiful in a skirt - although I will admit that doing sheep work is a whole lot better in jeans (as you hold the sheep between your legs to do various jobs!)
Lovely photos
Have a great weekend
Renata:)

Lobma said...

Females look wonderful in skirts and dresses, and yes, just so much more feminine. I can tell you us men do approciate a female in a dress.

You all look beautiful in the photos.

C.R. Urban Homesteader's said...

What a wonderful question and answer! I grew up in blue jeans and a tee shirt and never felt very "pretty" but since becoming a mom I have started wearing skirts a little more and find it very comfortable and it makes me feel like more of a lady. And it surprised me when my husband told me that I look very beautiful with my new look!

C.R. Urban Homesteader's said...

What a wonderful question and answer! I grew up in blue jeans and a tee shirt and never felt very "pretty" but since becoming a mom I have started wearing skirts a little more and find it very comfortable and it makes me feel like more of a lady. And it surprised me when my husband told me that I look very beautiful with my new look!

Mrs.Rabe said...

I wear skirts or dress 99% of the time. I just gradually switched over, after I started to see how unisex our culture was becoming. I want my daughters and myself to be happy to be women and to rejoice in the differences between us and our men!

I don't even think about it any more!

Carrie of Farming On Faith said...

I have worn dresses all my life and don't much think about it. I think they are more comfy.
Great post!

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011