Monday, July 4, 2011

our 4th of July dessert... Red Rhubarb, white crust and BLUE teeth!

Cut fresh ruby red rhubarb from your garden (Rhubarb is a staple here, we need to continue to plant more of it as we eat it up) or ask your sweet old neighbor lady is she has some to spare... The dutch ladies in these parts simply call it "pie plant"... The mulberries are ripening quick but we had quite a few left to pick from... These can be found many places in the wild and this would be a fun field trip to look for them... They are pretty to look at but actually I find them to be a bland tasting fruit so I like to mix them with something else. They leave a beautiful bluish color everywhere... So remember when you pick them, do not wear white and you will have blue teeth and fingers!

Take a hot skillet and add some butter first (about 1/2 cup), then add your washed fruits (I used about 5-6 cups I believe)and cook downish...


then add some of your very own raw and unfiltered honey (I used about 3/4 cup) to "sweeten the pot..."



Roll out this easy dough: 3 cups flour, 4 heaping tsp. of aluminum free baking powder, 1/2 tsp. soda, 3/4 tsp. salt, 6 tbsp. butter and 1 cup water. Mix your dry ingredients first, then cut in butter and add water forming a dough ball and then roll out on a floured board...



This recipe taken from Pg.91 of Mary Jane Butter's Ideabook.Cookbook.Lifebook given to me by my dear of a friend Farm Girl Cyn over 5 years ago now!



gather your easy rolled out dough and set it on top of your simmering fruits...









After sprinkling some cinnamon on the top of the crust, put a lid on this, lower your burner and then cook for about 15 minutes until dough seems finished...
Then "flip" your skillet over onto a nice size plate and this is what you will have!






I sprinkled some of our own farm fresh organic raspberries from our patch for good measure with a touch of powdered sugar!



I was not hearing any complaints as all 8 of us woofed it down (I cut about 8 pieces like a pie) ! It is one of the easiest thing you will ever cook, trust me!





I use this easy recipe quite a bit and change it up here and there... Make the crust with some corn meal, flour and paprika, cook up some taco meat with onions and veggies, flip your skillet over and add some fresh sour cream and cheese with garden veggies... You get the picture so try it and let me know how it went for you!



In the spirit of farming, family and faith,



HomemakerAng

Happy 4th of July!



xo

2 comments:

Treasures Evermore said...

Looks delicious...I think this is going to be on the menu soon in our home.

Thank you for sharing.

Kim said...

Well it just so happens here in the city I have a mulberry tree in my backyard. I think I will have to go pick some and try this.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011