Saturday, July 16, 2011

SUMMER FEATURE **a magical place** D.H. Day Farm and Sleeping Bear Dunes

Stop # 3 and 4: D.H. Day Farm and Sleeping Bear Dunes I have climbed these dunes for years... I once happened upon my cousins from a long distance away climbing as well when I was a child... Peter and Kristi... And now our children love climbing the dunes. We have even spent a few days here with our Amish friends... They loved seeing and climbing the dunes... They wrote a message in the sand with their address and received a post card later. It truly is a magical place. I have not climbed them this year as I should not at this time but I am enjoying watching others and my dear children discover their mystery!
And words canNOT describe the farmhouse and barns that D.H. Day built right across from the Dunes. If our barn looked like this, well I would reside in it!

The skies here have been unbelievably gorgeous while we have been here!


I have been tempted to ask the new owners of the D.H. Day Farm if they wanted someone to homestead their place with our beautiful Belgians and bring it back to a working farm in days of old! I know we could do it... But I probably won't becuase I dare do just about anything no matter how impossible it seems. What if he actually said yes?...



I know we would love every minute of it and cherish the time but for now the views are amazing and good enough for a lifetime...

7 comments:

Al said...

Thank you Angie for the beautiful pictures. They seem to calm the soul and it would be great to be allowed to homestead the place. I love your thinking.

Joe and Jeannie Family said...

You were in our neck of the woods (we live in Frankfort). We feel so blessed to be near Lk. MI and all the "magical" places you mention. I hope your family had a wonderful time and are well rested.

Angie said...

When we go to Leland we stay at Jolli Lodge...wondering where you stay?

Bobbi Jo said...

So are you going to ask? I think you should if you pray about it and are given the green light.
The place is beautiful! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Homemaker Ang said...

Maybe we will ask, i think it is more just a dream Bobbi Jo :)

And Angie, we stay all over up here from camping in the past (YUCK, sorry - i live off-grid so i truly am looking for a vacation :) and Leland to Glen Arbor

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

OK, I just got caught up on ALL your vacation posts - LOVELY!!!!

Oh man, Michigan is in the blood. It becomes sucha part of you. It is a truly magical place that you can't describe. We only went on two "real" vacations when I was a kid - to DIsney no less and the rest of our time was spent on the beaches of Michigan. There is NOTHING like it - except Door County which is why l LOVE it there so much. Just to breathe that lake air, drive thru the countryside, admire the barns, the color of the perennials... MAGIC!

Love the story about your ancestors. And that barn. OH MY GOODNESS - I might become a squatter!

Treasures Evermore said...

Oh yes, I think you should ask...wouldn't that be an adventure..and the amazing job you would do...wow, just thinking about it is exciting.

Love the photos.

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011