Thursday, July 14, 2011

SUMMER FEATURE **a magical place** Fishtown aka Leland - all 5 senses

Stop #2.Leland, Michigan aka Fishtown is pretty much indescribable...




Don't let a few photos fool you as they seriously do not do Fishtown its proper justice or place... You will leave with the longings of your 5 senses fulfilled with a little bit of your heart left behind. From the moment you arrive you will be drawn in by the smells of smoke from the smoker at Carlson's Fisheries and fresh Lake Michigan air... These smell drift through the dear little wharf all the way up to beautiful Main St.
The quaint shops and boutiques will draw your eye but the sound of the water fall near Falling Water's Lodge will tune you in to find the peaceful noise you are hearing... Where is it coming from? Oh, here it is...

I love feeling the old wood that held the nets for fisherman of years gone by...

I never leave without some fresh smoked Lake Michigan fish from Carlson's... My choice: Smoked Chub, a favorite of mine! We go grab some aged cheese and local baked bread and find an outdoor picnic table and reward our taste senses of these fresh and marvelous local treats!


The action does not stop here... Manitou Transit will take you to N. and S. Manitou Islands... One of my family homestead is located on S. Manitou Island... "The Tobin House" For real... My ancestors photo resides there at the house... They were a lighthouse keeper (John Tobin)and post mistress (His wife)... I will make it to that island someday... I truly will. My relatives also worked for the USLS (United States Life Saving Service) back in the old days. Could this be my love for Leelanau? I was born with Leelanau in my blood...



The shops sell a lot of local crafts and artisan wares! I always am a sucker for the new local history books written... After all, they have photos of my family in them... You could say my dear Uncle Jack Phillips (Married to my father's sister "Tobin") lost his life while heading to S. Manitou Island to unearth more of our family roots...




S. Manitou... I will meet you... I will, just wait a little longer













6 comments:

Treasures Evermore said...

Oh this place looks "wonderful"...so sad we live on the far side of the country...but thank you for taking me there with you if only through cyberspace~~smile.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Lots of precious memories made in Fishtown....

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

This is one of my favorite spots in the world...not that I've been all over the world, but I LOVE IT HERE. I was talking to a friend with a place on Torch Lake, and she's never been to Leland or Sutton's Bay or any of those little pieces of paradise scattered around those peninsulas! Could NOT believe it! I abhor places like Disney, that are all manufactured plastic and fake...give me real, God's creation any day! We are on our way up there tomorrow.
xoxo
Joni

Sonja said...

What a beautiful place! You helped me escape the dreariness of summer here in Western Washington. While a good part of the rest of the country bakes, we sit under gray skies, cool temps and rain. I'm tempted to have the kids hit the school books just in case we have a warm late summer/fall! :)

Thespa said...

You had me at chocolate dipped ice cream cones, LOL. Hugs!

KXJ said...

oh man, you do love leelanau as much as I do...one summer my husband and I drove all over michigan looking for places to buy a cottage. We were about the give up when we drove into Leelanau and we both felt it. He said, "This is our tribe."

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011