Sunday, August 14, 2011

it has been too long...







This summer has been 1 in a million for sure. We have had so much fun yet we have also worked hard side by side on the farm! I think we are finally getting in sync with the rhythm of the farm with the fine balance between work and play… That has taken us a true while.

Off-grid summer nights on the farm are indescribable (see an inside shot in this post from a summer’s evening in the farmhouse with our oil lighting.) From the smells of fresh flowers, (our oldest daughter has created these beautiful arrangements to grace the farm house tables and porch) the views from our front porch, a sound of a distant clip-clop of a buggy in the distance, to the crickets chirping and bull-frogs burping… I could sit here on this porch forever…

We are coming upon our 3 year anniversary of living off the grid!!! Can it be? October 14, 2008 was the first day of our humble beginnings here… The first year seemed to be long but very exciting with everything new and fresh. The second year flew by as we felt we were gaining ground. The third year, yeah this one… This has been one of the hardest years here yet. Tears have been shed as we have taken the thorns with the beautiful roses of the blessings that that God has bestowed upon our family. Some of you were used by Him to deliver these blessings and we thank you for that. Just when we felt we might not be able to take much more God would always step in, even if it seemed at the last minute. I wish He was a little quicker sometimes but I truly know I find Him more during these daunting times… In the waiting…

I am feeling and healing slowly and even this week seemed to jump leaps and bounds in the healing department as I take in this beautiful summer and just do a little more watching from a distance than engaging. And He is always faithful…

12 comments:

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

It has been a joy and delight to share in your journey via your blog updates from the other side of the world. I can't believe it is 3 years - I remember discovering your blog and then finding out just what you were about to embark on. I think of you and your family often (almost every time I look at our wood stove because we were inspired by you to find and install one!) as we too try to find the balance between work and play. Even a small property is hard work and in our climate weeds are our enemy even in winter. People sometimes say to us that we live in paradise, they see our beautiful trees but our Eden is post fall with weeds, thorns and its fair share of snakes. I sometimes think this will be my children's most prolific memory - our 'weeding weekends' but the only way to make it enjoyable is to work at it together and then once in a while we clean up and go out for ice cream - squashing into two booths at a 1950's style parlour and sharing a plate of 10 flavours of real gelato. It's a sweet reward and I guess this is what they will remember, the rewards of our labour and not that mum and dad made them work so hard in the gardens but that we tried to be the best stewards of an amazing place that God gave us that belonged to Him.
You have been faithful stewards and I know that God rewards those who walk in His statutes. Lots more roses still to come into bloom. The best is yet to come!

Amanda said...

I am so glad to see you back. Your blog has been an inspiration to me since you started blogging 3 years ago. It was sad to see you go off line when you did but a blessing when you came back again.

May THE LORD continue to bless you and your family.

Amanda
Matthew 6:33

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I am thinking of you often....I hope you know that. Especially in the past few weeks....just sayin'. Know what I mean?

Renata said...

I loved this update Ang ~ the photos are beautiful & to see your heart ~ just lovely! I can relate to much of what you've written having moved to our farm only 9 months before you moved. I remember when I found your blog I was so excited & that was only a few weeks before you made your announcement (has it really been 3 years??) I'm sorry you've had a difficult year & will be praying for you. May God hold you close through this time of healing & continue to guide you in His path for your life.
Love to you
Renata:)

Sonja said...

Good to hear from you. I've missed you! :)

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Glad to hear you are doing better - getting a little freaked since I didn't hear back from you.
I love your entire story and think of you all the time... and am sitting here having a pity party for myself on my 1/8 acre lot.
Just got busted for my chickens and can't stop crying and raging at stupid rules.
Got a serious case of "the grass is greener".
Miss you.

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

So glad to see a post from you! :)
I am so glad you are feeling better day by day!!!

Warmly,
Katy :)

goatldi said...

Was worried , but not. Knew He would bring you all through. But yet worried-ahyyyyyyyy I am but human!

Nadine said...

Happy to hear your on the way to feeling better...Praying God's full healing and blessings on you...
Nice to see you back on hear...was wondering too...I am a worry wart...I know I should not be and I should rest it all in God but I too am human...

Blessings my friend

Nadine

Renee said...

I have truly missed your posts, but know that you were having a wonderful summer! You are inspiring~ Hope you are feeling better. I still have hopes of our families getting together yet! Maybe when things slow down! I would LOVE to see some pictures of the sheep. I am (hopefully:) planning a drop spindle class this fall/winter!

Bobbi Jo said...

Yea! You are back. I have missed you and your sweet posts. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Joe said...

Not totally off grid yet but working on it. Our homestead is our way of life and would not change it for nothing. I love it when I see other people that live the same way and share the same interest. Love and enjoyed your site keep up the great work. Joe

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011