Friday, March 9, 2012

The Maple Valley Farmhouse Master Bedroom gets a makeover!

When we purchased Maple Valley Farm in October of 2008, we found every wall in the farmhouse painted white in high gloss paint.  With all the oil lamps we burn (as the Amish did before us) I do understand the importance of high gloss -walls are easy to wash and can take a good scrubbing.  However, these wall got boring real fast...
Finally as money allowed this past year we are starting paint some color to these walls in a flat finish (ahem)...
Boy oh boy, what a difference a can of paint can do!  I always try to look in the big mistint tub first to see what I can get for my 'twist-tie' budget.
I also, just in February purchased my first can of (10 so far now) Annie Sloan Chalk paint from a nice local retailer R. Lucas Scott located in Holland, Michigan.   I have wanted to paint our master bedroom suite for a few years now.  I do love our set, but it needed some updating.  These are very solid pieces, oak by Lexington called, "The Mansion Bed".  As poor as we have been at times we have always been so happy to crawl into this wonderful bed that we purchased over15 years ago now.  Good mattress = good sleep = happy people! 

Back to Annie Sloan Chalk paint...  It is the most magical paint EVER created!  You do not have to sand, or prime and it seems to dry in minutes.  Most of the time you can get away with only one coat.  I painted the bedroom furniture in a day, wax and all.  At first it may seem expensive, but I painted this entire bedroom suite with less than 2 cans of ASCP!  That is under $70-.  Now add the wax finish, and I still finished the furniture part of the project for under$100-... If you factor in how much time I saved as a mother to 6 (time is money too folks) than I saved even more!  The beautiful colors I used are old white and duck egg blue.  I took some close up photos below for you to see the detail in my work. ASCP makes me look like a designer or something... But trust me, its the paint!!! It really is magic.

For the walls I used two cans of Valspar flat finish (found at Lowes) in the shade of "Peat Moss".  Valspar paint is incredible (and I am not being paid to say this).  I love how easy it is to apply and how velvety it looks when it dries! 
*** LOOK!  LOOK!  LOOK! ***
Can you believe this is the same bedroom below as above???
This mustard coloured hat with veil was worn by my grandmother the day of my mother and father's wedding day...
I added "new to me (I went digging around the farm house)" smalls for the bedroom to brighten it up.  One of the most favourite things I have, as I am a huge collector and lover of fabrics is my hydrangea bark cloth at the end of our bed. I only paid $2- for it.  The vintage picnic basket (will be for sale on The Sophisticated Agrarian) is a treasure of mine as well!  The paper whites were picked by the road side for our daughter's graduation open house and placed in the $1- milk glass vase (flowers are now dried).  The coverlet on the bed is the same as in the before photo.  I always try to buy neutral to reuse and reuse. Hubby bought this coverlet for a surprise for me.  The pillows I changed up and recovered elsewhere in the farm house.  The "new" pillows were all about $3- each, even the "K" pillow (that came with the stool cover in the tea photos- set was $3-).  The pillow cases have tatting on them and they were $3- for the set.  The cake plate is sitting on a Conservo canner from my good friend Tammy R - who knows everything there is to know about eating EVERYTHING good for you!

I have a bird nest I found on the farm so I placed it in the milk glass creamer my mother gave me below... I love bringing nature finds into the farmhouse, and they are FREE!  Notice our curtain rods - they are sticks from around the yard. The lace curtains are my now passed away great-grandmother Oldfields... I seem to remember taking a nap in her front bedroom and these were hanging in there...
I purchased this adorable ACSP book shelf from a dear friend of mine, Michelle at (re)imagined just for you!  I have many of our vintage books on this shelf to keep little busy hands away from them... Although, I do catch them looking at them during nap time in Mama's bed... Most of the books are family heirlooms and some are finds of mine that I paid about a $1- for each one. My favorites are the leetle blue books, the Rudyard Kipling series!
The green tin is from Jamestown General Store owned and operated by the very creative Mary Thoms, another good friend of mine! When I was younger, I always wanted to "be Mary Thoms" when I grew up... She is so gifted and farmy and folksy... I hope I am a lot like her...

I hope you enjoyed this post on the redecorating of our Master Bedroom at Maple Valley Farm...  I hope that it encourages you to try something new in your home.  It can be done on a "twist-tie budget"...

HomemakerAng - The Sophisticated Agrarian and Co.

Ps. You say you don't have a cake in your bedroom and tea?  Well, I suggest you start doing this! xo

5 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Mac said...

The master bedroom re-do is so beautiful .. and that chalk paint .. well .. I like that too :) You mentioned 'wax' .. did you coat the paint with a furniture wax (not polish)? I have chalky white furniture in my bedroom .. and it never occurred to me to seal it with wax .. but it would be helpful when cleaning.

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

We just recently have found a place somewhat locally that sells ASCP. I hope to do some painting around our Home with it soon. I really like what you've done!

Julia said...

Oh my...everything is beautiful!! I love your style:).

~Julia

Marmee's Pantry said...

WOW! That is BEYOND gorgeous! Will you come & play at my house?! lol

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011