Sunday, March 11, 2012

The "new" Maple Valley Farmhouse indoor bathroom

This is our "new" bathroom in the farmhouse.  This room was once an english bathroom, then an amish pantry, then our storage closet, then a bedroom and now it is a bathroom again.  All of these items you see in the photos are mostly thrifted as well.  The Gentle Giant actually hauled this sink out of a farm field!  All of the pictures were a few dollars each.  I did splurge on the faux myrtle tree from Ballard Designs.  The Rosemary wreath is from my dear friend Farmgirl Cyn and she is now my close neighbor!  The mirror was part of an entire antique bedroom suite that I only paid $50- for.  
I purchased the purple lantern from World Market while we were on a trip for our 20th wedding anniversary.  The basket is from years ago from Restoration Hardware.  The farm table show was left here in one of the barns.  I painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint of course in Graphite and coated with clear wax.  I staple gunned bunched up burlap to the table for the skirt.  We store toiletries under here, etc. 
There is no electricity and no lighting in the bathroom so it was hard to get a great photo.  I took candlelight baths for 3 1/2 years and I just cannot wrap my head around more than a candle light bath yet. I bought the curtain and World Market on our anniversary trip too.  They are 4 tea-towels sewn together and I added the rick rack to the curtains.  I actually fell in BIG LOVE with some adorable tea towels at Anthropologie, however, they were 3 times the price as the World Market towels and not much different...
The scale was thrifted as well.I love the duck egg blue color it is with the metal AND I weigh 5 lbs less on this scale so it makes me very happy every morning :)  The white table is from years ago and used currently as a stool by the littles.  The adorable washstand was given to me by the famous author Tracy Groot.  I painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Barcelona Orange and applied dark wax to it.  She even signed one of the drawers for me.  The antique mirror is very old and I purchased it for $1 at a tag sale.  The white pitcher is on loan to me, and belongs to a cool designer, Kathy Fredrickson - Prairie Blossom Home - more on her amazing work another day!


I will take a photo of the claw foot tub and bead board when the lighting is better and add it here, so please check back.  The tub is draped in curtains from World Market.  We only have 1 indoor bathroom for 8 people (I am not complaining!) so we can pull the European curtains while bathing so others can wash their hands.


Wait until you see Fifi and Mark's photos of the Maple Valley Farmhouse bathroom.  I never dreamed our bathroom would be a feature in a magazine or our out house discussed in length on the Anderson Cooper show as well as one of our realtor's fascination with it.  :)


xo
The Sophisticated Agrarian - HomemakerAng and Co.

6 comments:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

My claw foot bathtub (circa 1919) was brought to me by a brother in law who found it discarded in a ditch. It works beautifully. How do folks wash in tubs and sinks that have no memories, no past ? I don't get it, but I do get your bathroom and I adore it.

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

I have a sink just like that stored in the big barn, waiting for just the right place - I treasure it! Thinking when I "add on" a wash room to the Round House, what do you think? ;D

Beautiful photos

spiritofthings said...

Oh, I love the look of your bathroom!! It has such an authentic look about it. I'm a homeschooling mom - I've just discovered your blog and I'm thrilled about it!

Texas Mom said...

It's very pretty!! I love burlap. Isn't it funny how 30+ years of electrically-lit baths are wiped out by three in candlelight!! Candles make a bath that much more relaxing! :)

Melanie @ Rustic Farmhouse said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie @ Rustic Farmhouse said...

I JUST found this bathroom on pinterest and LOVE it!! :D

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011