Saturday, January 26, 2013

a simple winter Saturday at Maple Valley Farm! memories...

Sitting in the sunshine of a beautiful but chilly January winter day looking out into the snow of the winter of Michigan.  These January days usually promise sun and a bright reminder that spring will be on its way in a short time…  Not fond of November or March though….  I have been perusing the seed catalogs with grand plans for this year’s garden… 

Saturday coffee mugs in our farm cupboard for the Gentle Giant and I…  A Christmas gift from him to us this year from our 21st wedding anniversary trip to Chicago.  We reserve these special mugs for Saturday…

Our son is turning into quite the chef.  He has made sushi, all on a wood fired cook stove, but his blue ribbon delicacy as of late is his BBQ pork ribs from our own… He made them again for us.

We took to the ice today on our largest pond.  One of the things we fell in hard love with at this run down farm was this tranquil pond… We bit and it was a real buying point for us over almost 5 years ago now.  It never seems to disappoint!  From fishing to row boats to ice skating and some swimming (I am not a fan if you remember) it gives us something to do in all 4 season of Michigan!  It’s a “free” activity that is always here for us…  This was our 5 and 3 year olds first time skating today.  When our 3 year old fell, she yelled out, "Oh Dad, I think I broke my promise"...

And we ended the evening with a bon fire out by the ice… We told some crazy Indian stories, sang some Indian songs and danced around the fire… For real!  You have to know my family to understand this strange phenomenon… Just ask my brother, “Red Thunder Blanket Dancer”…  But, I do have Indian blood!  One of these days I am going to take that blood test to see what kind it actually is. 

We also ate to our hearts content!  Lunch was homemade English muffins (way easier than I have ever imagined) on the wood fired cook stove.  I just used my easy recipe I have spoken of before of the 6-3-3-13 bread and followed directions on a hot iron skillet with corn meal and they were so easy.  We topped them with some fresh and homemade orange marmalade (Great recipe from Farm Girl Cyn, my real life friend - that will now be a staple here UPDATE I will be posting on this soon - I changed up the recipe a bit).  We had pork patties with a teriyaki sauce and a wonderful and quinoa salad with herbs that were dried from the garden…  All day I sipped from that Saturday coffee cup.

And for supper, we had soup with some homemade bread that keeps getting better and better!  That same recipe, 6-3-3-13!  So delish, however, my waist is seeing the bread… “Know what I mean?” …  Back to the gym this week, but not without some really cool things we have to do… More on all of this later of course!

What did you do today, on your January Saturday?  Do tell me!

In the spirit of farming, family and faith,

xo

HomemakerAng and Co.

Ps.  If you knew how hard it was to post this blog from my phone, you would comment a lot more... Hint, hint...  xo

8 comments:

Peggy said...

What a wonderful weekend you had! Ice skating and a bonfire sound like a dream way to end the day. We spent the day cleaning animal feed and water dishes after the ice storm from last night that has already melted. Next week we will have temps in the 70's so no ice skating here.

Jennyr said...

I love your recent posts with all the details. I've been somewhat spotty posting lately but hope to remedy that soon! I told my husband about your pipes and huddle in the living room as we had an ice storm Friday morning. We were very thankful that our power didn't go out..... We aren't as prepared for off grid as we would like to be, but could survive if we had to. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Jackie Grigg said...

Awww.....bless, all fingers and thumbs in the cold...our snow is almost gone, but has been replaced by howling gales and hail...lovely.hope your pipes are feeling warmer now...our Esse stove is still playing up, and now a new control box is being ordered...oh for the days of cooking on my mothers Rayburn Royal, just feeding it with logs! Surely us 21st. Century mums and wives shouldn't have to put up with such trials? Only I suppose it's those trials that make us the stronger peoplle we become...have fun. x

Renee McCausey said...

I enjoy the glimpse into your day! It is inspiring. We too enjoy ice skating a lot, but have to leave the farm to find it;) I still would love to plan a day to get the families together, with so much like mindedness it would be a wonderful day! Enjoy your Sunday!

Tina Leigh said...

I love how your family spent Saturday! The food and activities all sound so good.

My husband and I took our granddaughter to a lake off the river fishing yesterday. It was a very nice day together...snacking in the boat, talking, laughing, and catching a few fish.

I do know how hard it is to post from a phone...as hard as it is to comment! The price I pay for living in the country....but that's ok!

Since I don't participate in Facebook...it's been so nice to catch up with you on your blog.

candice said...

LOVE the post!! Very warm and inspiring! Sounds like alot of fun! Would love to visit your farm :)

Candice

candice said...

I love this post! Very warm and inspiring!! I would love to visit your farm!

Candice

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

A delightful post, Angie ;D

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011