Sunday, February 17, 2013

Look! We pulled that ceiling down and are very happy with what we found!

We decided this would be the weekend to get started on pulling the ceiling down of this 1885 farmhouse at Maple Valley Farm.  We were cautiously optimistic but we knew even if we did not get the loft feeling we were looking for, it needed to be replaced anyways.

Well, boy were we pleased with what was under 3, YES 3 ceilings!  The tear down revealed 100 year old + red pine after dragging out of 75 contractor bags of plaster and lathe and 2 large additional burn piles...

No worries, we wore masks and goggles and taped off house accordingly...
Look, LOOK!  I am in BIG love with the very rough after pictures below!!!  Now we are onto working on the walls and adding some really cool industrial lighting but no worries, I AM going to add my rustic prairie pretty touches here and there!  I am so excited!  We did the work ourselves so that saved a ton of $...  The Gentle Giant is pleased I am pleased.  He loves the look as well.  I will keep posting more photos of this work in progress.
So tell me, what do you think?  Any ideas for me?  Do tell!

xo

HomemakerAng and Co.

Ps.  During this tear down the horses and cows got loose, 1 broken fiance foot, 1 stuck jeep, 1 broken down and stranded Subaru :)

6 comments:

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

It's going to be so fun watching your progress!

When you exposed the beams, did you find wiring/plumbing? If so, how will disguise/hide/move that?

Crossnote said...

simply love love love your home and
what a wonderful family life you have here...I love visiting here...love the kitchen! You are blessed, Corinne

Renee McCausey said...

So glad all went well...at least with the ceiling;) It really is beautiful, can't wait to see it all done. It almost makes me want to go redo something. Nope, I am done for a while! Enjoyed our time last week!

Joannah said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

Me said...

Here is what we did in our 1791 kitchen.
http://thisoldcolonialhouse.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-11-07T10:33:00-08:00&max-results=7

Jamie said...

I love the ceiling! Very pretty! We used to live in a 115 year old house and I always wanted to take the old layers of ceilings down. Nice job!

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011