Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Feeding a big family - a recipe

 



With a family of 8, 6 growing farm kids and a Dad and Mom, it seems like I am always cooking up somethin'!  This time of year our larder is sparse as we have seem to eaten up our storage.  Greens will be appearing soon and I have been picking some little handfuls of herbs here and there to doctor up our own farm eggs in various dishes and more.

I do a lot of baking and I wanted to share a pretty staple recipe to feed my masses.  Our oldest son Buddy, is almost as tall as The Gentle Giant and he is sporting a size 14 shoe these days.  I am not surprised as his birth weight was just shy of 11# and he was 23 1/2 INCHES LONG!  Read that again, as it was not a typo.  Actually, we have big eaters here (had more big babies in the 9#/10# range - more on that another time) and no body is picky, so they all eat a lot and then some.

I love these easy cookie bars.  My own mother always made these when I was growing up.  We have aptly named the, "Farm Bars" for this growing brood!  I am not eating any "Farm Bars" these days as I have a very tiny Mother-of-the-Bride dress to fit into (more on that later too)

Recipe:  Maple Valley Farm Bars (tall glass of fresh raw milk not included)

1 1/2 sticks of butter
2 cups of brown sugar (I never said these are healthy bars)
3 farm fresh eggs
1/2 tsp. of unrefined salt
1 tsp. real vanilla
2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
2 2/3 cups of unbleached white flour
1/2 cup of nuts (I do not add - makes the recipe more expensive)
12 oz. milk chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla and beat well.  add salt and baking pwser and slowly add the flour.  Scrape sides of bowl and pour into a 9x13" pan (no need to grease it).  Sprinkle top with chocolate chips.

In a 350 degree oven place pan and set a timer for about 9 minutes.  At the 9 minute marker take a knife and "draw" in the mix to make a marble effect on the top of the cookie bars.  Return to oven and bake approximately 20 more minutes but watch them!  They are complete when a fork comes clean out of the center.

Yields about 12-15 depending what size you cut them after they are cooled.  However, they only last this family 1 sitting and they are inhaled and topped off with a tall glass of raw milk with the creme mixed in!


Enjoy!

HomemakerAng and Co.

2 comments:

Missy said...

These sound great and I have a 13 year old daughter (our middle of five children) who has been looking for recipes and making deserts lately. I'll pass this on to her. Can't wait to try them. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Homemaker Ang...

Our family and friends made these together for Easter Sunday lunch.... TURNED OUT GREAT!!!


all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011