Tuesday, April 16, 2013

more on that sweet round house and my sweet friend Cary...

 Since moving up here to our dear Maple Valley Farm almost 5 years ago now, we have been blessed to meet so many like minded new friends.  I met my sweet friend Cary almost 3 years ago I believe at one of our classes.  Cary has also taught a class here on knitting.  Cary has a beautiful fiber farm with many, many acres, so many I cannot recall or even count :)  Cary and her husband known in these parts as "Doc" have farmed this land for many years.  They have downsized a bit, per Doc, but honestly, it didn't look like it to me :)
 I set up an appointment with Cary for our daughter's 12th birthday.  She has wanted a spinning wheel for a few years.  We have sheep here at Maple Valley Farm (Icelandics) So this seemed like a good fit for a birthday present.  Our girl was SO EXCITED when I told her on the surprise birthday adventure with mom all to herself as well!  She got a spinning wheel, some lessons and a huge bag of wool with some books and more from Cary!
We pulled up to the beautiful farm and were warmly welcomed in from the cold to an adorable cozy home.  Every corner of it seemed to abound with gorgeous balls (or she said skeins - AKA I do not know what I am talking about) of the most beautiful yarn.
 AND Cary's style is so eclectic and so cute!  I LOVE IT!
 They have 2 huge barns and outbuildings and then this round house that is placed on a hill over a cistern that originally fed the water to another farmhouse on their property...  LOOK at this ceiling!  This quaint but mammoth structure is in the middle of nowhere.  I felt as though I came upon some cabin in the wood when she let us in...
 the photo below is of one of the large barns (sorry that the photos are not in order) that was built just like a large sailing vessel on the inside.  100+ years old and look at how great the wood is inside!  She has many treasures stored inside where she has plans to repurpose and recreate these things.  She is very busy currently as a wonderful Grandmother, Mother and care-giver so these projects will have their time... But not now she tells me, with a look of patience in her eyes...  She has her plate full but she wants to be right where God wants her and this is right where she is at and very grateful...
 Here she opened the door in the floor of the roundhouse to show us where the water runs through underneath.  Our daughter wanted to crawl down there in the worst way, in the dark!!!  I said NO! :)
 This is the outside of the barn by the round house.  They recently put a roof on the one of a kind structure to preserve it... They see the importance of history and preservation, even though they could have just let it go being so far away from the farm house where they reside.  But they did not let it go... They wanted it to last for more generations so their children and grandchildren could also find the joy that they do from this big 'ole barn
 This is the inside of the roundhouse... Just light a fire and you are all ready to go!  Many bags of wool line the round house to be spun into more of those beautiful balls...
 Let's not forget what a fiber farm is all about!  The sheep... Do a biblical study on sheep and you will be amazed at the resemblance as God sees us.  Own a sheep after the study (as we do) and you will be amazed, disappointed,  fall in love and have deep care for a lost creature and well, if you own sheep you know what I am talking about it.
 Cary takes such good care of her flock like any good shepherdess does, like God cares for you and I.  She is out in every element, every day, checking and caring for them...
 We were also treated to a wonderful lunch of homemade taco salad and our daughter made a cherry chip cake to bring.  I had 2nd's on the salad... It was truly delicious...

And look at my friend Cary.  See that sweet smile, see the patience in her eyes.  See her strength even though she may be tired at times.  God has his hand on her and he is taking good care of their family and husband and more including this adorable tractor that truly was a gift straight from Him... A big answer to her prayers...
Lord willing this fall 2013, we may have another knitting course at Maple Valley Farm with Cary once again as our teacher...   And if not, I look forward to still visiting with her very soon...

You can visit Cary's blog at:  http://www.serenity-farms.blogspot.com/

and her website at:  http://www.serenity-farms.com/

2 comments:

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

Awwww, Angie, thank you so much! As I mentioned, your kind words came after a rough week, so you really cheered me up! That might be weariness in my eyes, not patience, LOL!

And you should see the OLD glass and brass knobs I have for the door near that eclectic orange chair! I can see from the photo that I need to get those put on ;) You are an awesome friend and fellow farm-wife xxoo

Joannah said...

Neat!

Mark wants to own sheep when we move to the farm property. I liked what you said about them. :)

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011