Wednesday, September 3, 2014

"Twas The Night Before Our 17th Homeschooling Year" By Angela Kuncaitis




" 'Twas the Night before Our 17th Homeschooling Year" By HomemakerAng
Dedicated to all of you home school moms... I know you can relate xo
'Twas the night before our 17th homeschooling year, when all through the house
There was a Mom that was stirring, wishing she could be a mouse;
The books were placed on the kitchen table with care,
In hopes that Jesus soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
While reading a book and/or arguing while little ones jumped on their heads;
And mamma in her sport shorts, and I in my c-pap,
Well, I had just settled my brain for a short nights nap,
When out in the library there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the books I flew like a flash,
Tripped over a lego and threw it like trash
Her face in the light of a new fallen epiphany,
Gave a lustre of mystery to my suspicious aware,
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a woman and 6 children of all ages and size,
With a look in her eye so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment she must be upset.
More rapid than eagles her personality came,
And she sang, and she shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Abby! now, Anna! now Buddy and Penny!
On, Peter! on, Favour and 2 dogs too plenty!
To the top of the library shelf! to the top of the farmhouse wall!
Now dash away! Please go away! Go to bed all!"
As emotions that before the wild hurricane fly,
When she met with an obstacle, mount to the sky;
So up to the upstairs the coursers they flew
With hands full of books, and yes, ME too!—
And then, in a twinkling, I heard very close by
The jumping and yawning of each little goof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Up the stairs Mom came with a bound.
Now she was dressed all in jammies, from her head to her bare foot,
And her pjs were not matching and tarnished with loving age;
A bundle of papers she had put in her robe,
And she looked like a teacher just organizing her load.
Her eyes—how they twinkled! her dimples, how merry!
Her cheeks (not those) were like roses, her furrowed brow was clearly!
Her serious little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And thankfully she did not have a beard on her chin that was as white as the snow;
The black hairband she held tight in her teeth,
But the smoke of her excitement and energy, it encircled her head like a wreath;
She had a small face and a not a round belly
But it still shook when she laughed, due to 9 pregnancies, like a bowl full of jelly.
She was thin and soft, a right jolly old gal,
And I laughed when I saw her, in spite of myself; ahem…
A wink of her eye, just like when we met
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
She spoke not a word, but went straight to her work,
And placed all the books; I was hoping I was not a jerk,
And laying her finger aside of her tea cup,
And giving a nod, to our bedroom she went;
She sprang to her knees at the bed, to her God gave a prayer,
And away she silently spoke like I was not aware,
But I heard her exclaim, as I peaked in our room—
“Jesus I need you to start our homeschooling year and for you to drive it so I have no fear!”
-Angela Kuncaitis September 2014

3 comments:

Jennyr said...

So happy to see your post! Love it! I've missed you. Maybe I should update my blog too;)

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

An inspired post for sure ;) God bless you and the family as you continue your year of schooling!

And can I say how happy, happy, happy I am to see your blog again ;) Hugs to you all...

Debra Beeuwsaert said...

Was glad to see that you posted again. Missed your posts. I understand the time constraints as well. My father went into home hospice in Feb so I was off line most of that time and then he passed away mid-March. Then in April my fur baby got pancreatitis and became a borderline diabetic and in July had start of cataracts and her sight went quickly so now she is blind. It's hard.
Debi

all photos and writing on this blog ©Copyright Maple Valley Farms 2008-2011